Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is it Possible to make heat shrink sleeves from recycled plastic as base

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafiq-Zambia

Materials
Dec 17, 2021
ZM
Really really need your help on this one.
I would like to go into manufacturing Large Heat shrink Sleeves,I'd like to used waste plastic since our land fills have huge amounts collecting everyday. My thoughts were to use PET plastic perhaps as the base and maybe re-engineer this plastic into a Polyolefin plastic material (since thats what heat shrink sleeves seem to be made from)

I would like to cover large wood logs with these sleeves as a final product, The manufacturing equipment exists its just getting help figuring a way to make this material at a very economical cost, hence why i'd like to use waste plastic since it can be collected for free.
Would really appreciate if someone could guide me on what fomula or in simple term ingredients could help achieve this Goal

Many thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are a number of materials used. This stuff is very inexpensive; can't see sorting through a jumble of materials can be cost effective for this. Moreover, mistakes in sorting will result in variability in material properties.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Sorting isnt a problem here because frankly labor isnt expensive here in Zambia as compared to the West. And parameters can be put in place to make sure correct sorting could be achieved.

Main thing is to know if its possible and what (for lack of a better term) ingredients would i need or production method would i need to follow to achieve this product if based recycled plastic is PET waste

I don't quite see how you're going to get a polyolefin from PET.
You do realise that shrink sleeve manufacture involves irradiating the 'as made' stuff to cross-link it before it's expanded to it's starting size?
I'm not sure if PET can do this.

PET is quite high in calories if you want to generate heat from it.

Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement.

Kindly Advise what waste plastic if not PET would work so i can look into the possibilities of getting that plastic in large quantities on the ground here. would appreciate you guidance

I'm really hoping PET can be re engineered since its easily available in bulk. what ever process that needs to be followed to re engineer it into commercial volumes of polyolefin iam willing to make the investment for my project

Creosote supposedly impregnates the wood, i.e., it ostensibly penetrates the entire wood thickness with material That's the only way it can properly preserve the wood; it's not just a coating, since coatings will invariably fail.

Since your approach is purely a surface covering, you also run the risk of UV damage to the shrink sleeve, and the risk of mechanical damage from impacts, vandals, etc. All of those may result in exposure of the wood, and risk life-reduction of the wood.

And it's not necessarily even vandals, per se, lots of telephone poles get covered with flyers nailed or stapled to the wood, or there are guy wire attachments, etc. that create openings into the wood. If there's no creosote in the wood itself, these openings can result in degradation of the wood in those areas.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

posts are mostly used in rural areas. no posters attached in Zambia via nail gun, when posters are applied its by glue, vandalism to poles barely exists here, Would manufacturer a sleeve with a decent thickness to prevent damage from guy wire attachments.

UV resistance can be added at production via additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back