Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is learning Autosprink a waste of time? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

laminarpath

Mechanical
Sep 24, 2009
US
I'm a first year Sprinkler Layout student at college, and I'm wondering if I train myself on Autosprink, then get hired by a company that uses SprinkCAD or HydraCAD or something else, can I use Autosprink anyway if I buy my own?

I know the company wouldn't want to pay out of its pocket to buy the software for me while everyone else uses something else (usually), but if I pay for it will they most likely let me use it? Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A few of my designer buddies work for companies that run different programs depending on the designer. In order for you to be valuable to your employer, you have to pump out sprinkler drawings as fast as possible. And they have to work.

If Autosprink can make that happen for you, then I'm sure you could make a case to your employer. BUT, why pay for it yourself? Autosprink is not cheap.

That said, I took Hydracad and Autosprink classes in school, and now that I'm in the workforce, I've only used AutoCad LT. A little extra leg work, but there's not much difference between my drawings and the other guys with the expensive programs. I've found that drawing on plain jane Autocad, stocklisting and making fabrication sheets by hand has increased my understanding of the intricacies of this business much faster.

Long story short, no computer program is going to make you a great designer. You have to open the book, put in the overtime, and get hollered at by fitters to really start learning things.

AutoSprink is a great program and one I would recommend to learn. However, you are in college. You should have access to multiple programs. I would take the time to learn all of them. I have been in sprinkler design for just over 22 years. I currently use AutoSprink, but in the past have drawn on the drafting board, using AutoCAD (old DOS versions), SigmaCAD, OmniCADD, HydraCAD and now AutoSprink. The more flexible you are, the more valuable you are to a company.

I would say that most companies are going to want you to use what software they have because others can pick up your work easier should something happen. If you are the only one using a particular program and something happens, the company could be in big trouble trying to get a project completed.

Focus on learning how to be a great sprinkler designer, not just how to use a particular program. All of the programs do the same things, just in a different manner. However, nothing replaces a thorough understanding of knowledge of codes/standards and how/when to apply them. The program is just a tool to get the circles and lines on paper.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC

TravisMack said:
most companies are going to want you to use what software they have because others can pick up your work easier should something happen.

Autosprink projects can't be exported to AutoCAD to be worked on should something happen?

I went through the fire protection program at Seneca college and took both HydraCAD and AutoSprink. While I found that AutoSprink worked best for me. None of the companies I've worked for have used it. I'd say unless your working freelance you'll have to use the program the company you work for uses. Or if it means that much to you to use it, only apply to companies that use AutoSprink

I used to be a pipe stress engineer, and the above advice about being flexible is very sound advice... It is NOT the PROGRAM that teaches YOU how to design. It is the opposite. YOU have to teach the PROGRAM how to design.

At one time I had used every single pipe stress analysis software in the US market, and all but the first one were self taught. All I had to do with the other software I learned was what buttons and menus I needed to make the software do what I needed it to do. Frankly if a person can't teach themselves new software easily, having already learned one program, then they might as well become a fitter because they will be a continual burden requiring training time.

Learn the very basics of each program, just enough to say you can use it. Then in interviews act very confident that you know the program well even if you don't. The worst case is you have to stay late at night (without charging time) the first week or two, teaching yourself the software.

Real world knowledge doesn't fall out of the sky on a parachute, but rather is gained in small increments during moments of panic or curiosity.

AutoSprink will export to AutoCAD, but it is not the cleanest thing in the world. Also, if you are the only user, it is likely that some one will not even know how to export properly. Will they know to set the benchmark at A0? Will they know how to make the pipe objects with intelligent information, or just lines? What is going to be needed?

As I said above and was confirmed by PnP. Flexibility is the key. Use your head first and foremost.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC

Is this guy serious?
Anything you learn in life is always useful. So why the question.

Anytime you can enhance your knowledge it counts as a point like in sports.

If everyone gave equal wait to learning all things, accountants could end up spending all of their time learning about the middle ages, doctors would spend their time learning about how to design graphics, etc (since we can't download information like in the matrix, this presents a problem). Asking where to best put our time in trying to get good at something is one of the most important questions..

Why criticize someone just trying to learn?

No critics but the thread title seems to be quite confusing since all of us in this forum thrive for success and higher learnings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back