Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Microstation finished as a Mech Package?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amacdes

Mechanical
Dec 28, 2001
AU
Microstation seems to be moving away
from the Mech side of things. They do
not have an alternative product as do Autocad
(Inventor). What are your comments?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Go to their web site on select and have a look, you'll see there are loads of Microstation applications..
Where Bentley sucks is they are crap at promoting themselves and letting everyone know what they have.
select subscribers with only one seat of microstation can have loads of extra apps. I was using ustn for 5 years before I found out ( by accident) they had plant space designer for pipes etc 3d design and a special ustn version for electrical drawing drafting!
Take a look at modeller 3d graphics para solids etc for mechanical assemblies etc. But not as good as Solid egde by unigraphics for mech drawing/modelling this is superb.
Bentley missed out on $4M at my work to Intergraph to do GIS because we only had 20 liscences of ustn.. they didn't think it would be worth much to them I suppose. but the software anint the money its data capture to convert existing dgn formats.. we could have done it with Geographics but nobody at Bentley pushed the management hard sell enough like Intergraph did..

Bentley have discontinued Modeler which at the best was a
third rate product. I have owned a MS license since 95
and have watched them go backwards since then. I was told by
Bentley themselves that if I wanted a complex Mech Design
product I should look elsewhere. Over the last few year if
the contract has involved MS Ive been less than Interested.
I have used SolidEdge and SolidWorks (prefer SW) and they
are the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back