Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is NAND Flash an asynchronous memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesnguyen

Electrical
Sep 6, 2010
Hi everyone,

Is NAND Flash an asynchronous or synchronous memory? How can I tell?

From what I understand, synchronous memory requires a clock signal, but there isn't seem to be one on a NAND Flash... I could be wrong, though.

No, this is not a homework question.
Regards,
James

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If it weren't synchronous, how would you possibly use it? HAve you even looked at its datasheet?

TTFN

FAQ731-376

You don't have to be harsh. If you don't want to help, just don't answer.

From the Blackfin's external memory bus description:

"The external bus interface unit (EBIU) provides glueless interfaces to external memories. The processor supports Synchronous DRAM (SDRAM) including mobile SDRAM. The EBIU also supports asynchronous interfaces such as SRAM, ROM, FIFOs, flash memory, and ASIC/FPGA designs"

Does it sound to you like the flash memory is asynchronous?

"If it weren't synchronous, how would you possibly use it?" Well, I am here to learn. Maybe you should too!

Regards,
James

And why would I have refered to the datasheet for a processor you never mentioned, as opposed to the datasheet for any NAND flash memory?

Which, would have something like:
READ ENABLE
The RE input is the serial data-out control, and when active drives the data onto the I/O bus. Data is valid
tREA after the falling edge of RE which also increments the internal column address counter by one.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

The EBIU also supports asynchronous interfaces such as SRAM, ROM, FIFOs, flash memory, and ASIC/FPGA designs"

Does it sound to you like the flash memory is asynchronous?
I'm not sure it gets any more clear than that...

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

There actually are a few synchronous flash parts. However, the vast majority are asynchronous. Look at the data sheet for any specific flash part to tell which it is.

Glenn

Ok. I just reread the post and realized that the OP is asking about NAND flash. My answer was more appropriate to NOR flash. In NOR flash, synchronous operation was used by the now obsolete Intel 28F016XS and a few other parts.

In NAND flash, many parts can operate in either synchronous or asynchronous mode. Check out the ONFI specification. And there is a CLK line when operating in synchronous mode.

Glenn

NAND Flash usually do not connect to the EBI.
They need a controller, much like a harddisk interface, as read/write operations are on whole sectors, not bytewise.

Benta.

Thank you everyone for your reply. It really helps.

Best regards,
James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back