is RT/UT available to angle joint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YuJie_PV

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2017
CN
Hi all,
it's regarding NDE of angle joint defined in ASME VIII-1.
angle joint is indicated as NA in table UW-12 regarding NDE, but i checked with engineer experienced in NDE, and find RT, and UT could be performed for angle joint in case that the diameter is large enough.
i am confused now.
what does the "NA" in table UW-12 intend to mean?
no RT/UT required for the angle joint?
angle_joint_jkjfcm.png

BTW, angle joint is defined as "a joint between two members located in
intersecting planes with an angle greater than 30 deg but
less than 90 deg."

thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OP,
I am guessing you are running into some unfamiliar technical abbreviations. I say technical and not code because I doubt NA will show up in the ASME glossary. As weldstan said NA = Not Applicable, this often is shown as N/A as well. Always consider context because I have seen NA mean Not or None Available. Another, I have commonly seen is NR = Not or None Required. I try to put all non-code related abbreviations down at the bottom of a page if I use them.

@weldstan,heaviside1925,
thanks for your reply.
i am familiar with what NA stands for.
i am just wondering why NA is specified for angle joint while RT could be atually performed.
thanks

OP,
That is not communicating whether or not you Can perform RT on that joint, but it is communicating if it required. If a derated joint efficiency is acceptable then there is no need for RT unless required for other conditions.

OP, what the table is saying is that, for angle joints as defined, that a joint efficiency based on extent of RT does not apply. This is most likely because no specific Code rules exist for this type of joint. See the reference to U-2(g).

Regards

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

RT in an angle joint is difficult to interpret, and impossible in some designs.
The angle joint is not a determining thickness for the design, therefore, there is no joint efficiency.

Regards

@R6155, thanks for the reply.
the engineer with whom i consult states the RT could be achieved even the half apex is 60 degree. you just mentioned "impossible in some designs", is it referring to the half apex also?

Thanks in advance.

Is this engineer certified in RT? And at what level?
Can you send us a sketch of your angle joint with dimensions?

Regards

@r6155, the engineer is not qualified personnel of NDE, but a mechanical engineer doing a lot of shop inspection in behalf of owner, and similar work.
my design details shown as below. and the diameter of small end is 1200mm, large end 2000mm.
half apex 60degree.
thanks
cone_weld_joint_ocpsoo.png

@ YuJie_PV
Yes, you are confused. This is a butt weld category B
Your drawing is wrong: you show the angle of the weld, not the angle of the cone

UW-3
(b) Category B. Circumferential welded joints within the main shell, communicating chambers, nozzles, or transitions in diameter including joints between the transition and a cylinder at either the large or small end; circumferential welded joints connecting formed heads other than hemispherical to main shells, to transitions in diameter, to nozzles, or to communicating chambers. Circumferential welded joints are butt joints if the half‐apex angle, α, is equal to or less than 30 deg and angle joints when α is greater than 30 deg. (See Figure UW-3.)

Please, next time send a drawing when opening a post.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back