Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is stiffener plate reduce slenderness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pratamahrs

Structural
May 18, 2016
US
Hi all, I want to ask about the usage of stiffener.

I have a very long column (L=10660mm). I use the IWF 400x200x8x13.
When I calculate the major axis and minor axis slenderness. I found that if K=1,L=10660,and ry=45.68, the (kl/r) is 233,33 (above 200). It is not allowed since {kl/r) < 200.

If I use stiffener plate, can I reduce the length by the half (10660/2=5330) if I put the stiffener at the middle of the column?
Would you give me any suggestion for this except using bigger IWF section?

Thanks

Pratama H.R.S., B.Sc, M.Sc
Facade Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A stiffener plate will not reduce the unbraced length of a column. You need to use a beam or brace to reduce the unbraced length. If a beam or brace is not acceptable for architectural reasons you will need a stiffer column

A sketch of your situation and what you're proposing might help elicit more and better responses to your query. As PEFLWI said, a conventional transverse stiffener won't help unless it's tied back to something that prevents lateral movement. On the other hand, a full height longitudinal stiffener could help but that would effectively be a built-up column rather than a "stiffener". It would increase your ry but not reduce your kL.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back