Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is the lateral force caused by a Live Load on a foundation wall treated the same a floor live load? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete600

Structural
May 25, 2013
US
In 2012 IBC Equation 16-11 there is the following load combo

D + H + F + 0.75L + 0.75(Lr OR S OR R)

Is the lateral force caused by a Live Load on a foundation wall treated the same a floor live load?

Would it be factored by 0.75?

I ask because I took a practice exam for the SE exam (by NCEES) and in the solution they did not add the 0.75 factor to it.

"God grant me the serenity, to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference" -Reinhold Niebuhr

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would argue that it should have the 0.75 unless it was a live load from storage of "bulk materials" as IBC references when defining H. There may be some nuance in the code I'm unaware of. Such as questions requiring knowledge of the ASCE 7-05 Supplement #2 (which I didn't know existed) that tricked me when I was studying for the SE exam.

The 0.75 factor applies independent of direction, so it should be used for gravity and lateral. When I was studying for the P.E. exam, the study guides were riddled with mistakes, so don't let that throw you off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back