Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is there a database to go from a materials analysis to a material? 2

KirbyWan

Aerospace
Apr 18, 2008
US
Howdy all,

Is there a website or database where I can punch in the results from a material analysis (metallurgy report) and get material candidates that match that chemistry? Matweb has something kind of like this, but you need to put in a range but I want to go the other way and put in a value and find what materials have that value in their range.

Thanks,

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why would you like to use such a 'not very accurate' method to ascertain the material grade?

Better consult Material Handbooks. It is tedious but highly rewarding (as well as accurate).

DHURJATI SEN
Kolkata, India

Accuracy isn't the problem; the problem is having a completely unknown material except for the chemistry and trying to find which commonly available alloys it might be.

I suppose that could be done; try a request to the Matweb maintainers to see if they have a database query they could create to do that.

Ironically, PMI guns have an internal library that do exactly this. I'm not aware of an off-line version of the same.

Do you have a copy of ASTM standards? Standards like A-240 define a range of material grades and put them all in one table within the document. Assuming you have a rough idea of your material that could be an easy answer.

I used such software way back (in the 90s!) but the library was not very extensive and often took me in the wrong direction. You really do best using reference books. I always first start with the ASM Handbook (Desktop Edition will suffice) to narrow down my alloy type and see what alloys match the composition. For example, you may need to differentiate between low-carbon, mild, and alloy steels (if this is the material you are talking about). If you identify too many alloys or none, then you may want to look in the UNS book published by SAE and ASTM, which defines alloy compositions and may list additional alloys. This book is an essential reference if you have to perform alloy identification. It cross-references applicable material specifications that incorporate the identified alloy.

MintJulep,

That steelnumber website was what I was looking for, but it seems kind of broken. If I put in 85% Iron and 12% Chromium it comes back with no hits. I could put one variable in at a time and get a hit. Maybe I don't know how to use this query function right.

Dgeesaman,

That's exactly what I was thinking and it seems straight forward to list min and max for every material and be able to punch in a report result and say it could be these and those are close matches but not exact. This could be an excel spreadsheet with conditional formatting.

Dhurjati Sen,

I would use this as a first step to try and narrow down the field. Someone with more experience with specific alloys might be able to do this right off the bat, but us mere mortals need something so we're not going through a book as thick as a NYC phone directory from the 80's

Thanks all.

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

It sounds as though you are dealing with a stainless steel alloy containing approximately 12% chrome. Consult the tables and figures in chapter 12 entitled "Stainless Steels" of the hardcover book Metallurgy for the Non-Metallurgist, 2nd Edition.

First is your analysis accurate enough to actually narrow this down to one grade?
Do you have C in your analysis?
There are a bunch of 12% Cr alloys, both martensitic and ferritic.
And you will need to know HT condition and properties if you want to replicate it.
I used to have such a list, I believe that it was from the 'Key to Steel' (Stahlschlussel) and it wasn't inexpensive.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Take a look through the offerings from ASM, Metals Park, Ohio. Going back some twenty years ago they had a program that allowed one to input the chemistry and it would list several material specifications that had similar composition. As noted, to determine the specific specification requires more information in addition to the chemistry.

Best regards - Al

Back