Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is there a good electric motor design book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomeMadeSin

Mechanical
Mar 17, 2003
US
I'm a pump guy, so "Centrifugal and Axial Flow Pumps" by Stepanoff is my "pump designer's bible". Is there an equivalent for electric motor design?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi HOmeMadeSin

This will start something.I don't know if I understand your question,but here it goes.
Try Electric Motor Repair by Robert Rosenberg.This book has a lot of information about motors and their inner works.If your question is about Electric motors for pump applications,than any motor manufacturer should be able to help you.Hazelton and Flytes Pumps normally have electric motors as an integral part of the pumps.All the other pump applications they use whatever motor fits the application.

GusD

you might try:

"Handbook of Electric Motors"

Authors: Engelman and Middendorf

Publisher: Marcel Dekker, Inc NY NY

It is currently still in print - revison 2 out shortly.

Thanks everyone. I'm looking for a reference book that has enough content to learn how to design a motor for a given need. I doubt I ever will get to the point of designing a motor from scratch, but it sure would be helpful to know the limitations of motor designs as it relates to pump design.

Regarding so-called "pump motors"....one thing that doesn't take long to figure out is the motor business is a volume driven business. The motor guys want to produce what they currently make and that's about it. Trying to make a niche product with a standard motor is half-a$$ to be truthful. I would like to be able to help custom motor manufacturers grasp what we are trying to do and it is near impossible to do so with a very basic knowledge of "electricity in, torque out". OF course the basic argument for custom designed motor is volume, but it is pretty damn difficult to get an accurate volume without having a product (or at least a prototype to show and test).

OK, I'm off the soapbox.

The best basic book I have found will give you all the information you need.

Electrical Power
Motors, Controls, Generators, Transformers
By Joe Kaiser

I hope you can use this information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back