Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a reliable thread locking compound for over 800 degrees F continuous ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bent tabs or lockwires.
You can find cements that will work, but you will never get them loose. So any repair will involve cutting them off and replacing them.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Cotronics' ceramic products work pretty much as advertised.

The other choice that comes to mind is water glass, but it's messy.

I'd try real hard to find space for French locks or Stage 8 locks.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Never tried it, but there's a thread sealant called X-Pando which is horrible stuff- can be made to work under some desperate circumstances as a thread sealant, but one side effect it gives is excellent (and undesired) thread locking of the NPT assembly. Might work on a straight thread too, and might be just a little easier to reverse than my previous and more permanent liquid metal suggestion.

i know this is a few weeks old at this point.... how big a nut/bolt? how many? what kind of load are you talking about?

food for thought:

there is an interference thread fit category. its not used much, but its there. you need to HEAT the nut to expand it to the proper thread diameter so that it screws on to your threads. when it 'cools' to the operating temp, it shrinks and wrings on to the threads. when i was a wee tot, we made some custom machine bolts that held together a forging press. we had to heat the nuts to assemble the thing, and had to that right quick too, turn-of-the nut method to make sure we got pretension because no way to do proper torque.

don't forget that mother nature has given us many clever tools to use. sadly we neglect most of them when there funner toys to play with like glues and welds...

There are also prevailing torque designs that work well.
They simply won't turn in the reverse direction under load.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back