Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a Revision Manager in SolidWorks? or a good alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatCouture

Mechanical
Jun 6, 2003
CA
This question may seem odd and it's intended for users who know SolidEdge and SolidWorks. I switched job three months ago and I'm now using SolidWorks I find myself wishing I could have a Revision Manager has it exist for SolidEdge to copy a complete project with all its reference and being able to change the names and links for the new project.

I'm able to copy the project with the Pack and Go feature but it's a tedious process to change the names of the drawings at the same time.

From a quick search all I'm reading about to accomplish this would be to have PDM Works for which I think there is a price to pay to use it.

Any good alternative?

Thanks in advance

Patrick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is Solid Works Explorer, but I don't think it has anywhere near the power of Rev Manager.
I used SW a few years ago and found myself wishing for Rev Manager.
Best to post in the Solid Works forum.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Thanks BC

I thought about posting in the SW forum but I find myself having trouble explaining exactly what I want to accomplish other than saying I need the revision manager from Solid Edge. It seems to me that the idea of copying an complete project while maintaining drawings and such is a wish for a lot of users but there are still not many solutions.

Patrick

I would just ask that question - How do I copy an entire project whilst renaming files and maintaining all links between new models and drawings ?

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Pat ... it depends on the numbering/naming system used, and how you want to change it.

I have often used the SW P&G function to copy entire or partial projects ... complete with associated drawings. There is a Find and Replace function which can be used to replace selected portions of the name.

I did use the SE Rev Manager a few years ago, but don't remember too much about it. I do remember it being different to the SW offering but had no problems with it at that time.

Pat, my understanding from our doc control guy is that the SW utility isn't quite as 'good' as rev manager, but I don't know details.

I'll be picking up SW soon too so see you over in the SW forum;-).

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back