Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a titration procedure to determine sulphuric acid,phosphoric acid and nickel sulfate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BVKrish

Materials
May 15, 2019
CA
Hello everyone in this community!

I would like to know if there exists a titration procedure to determine the amount of the acids - sulphuric acid & phosphoric acid and nickel sulphate in the electropolishing solution.
I used to carry out the titration to determine just the acids in the past, but when the bath gets aged, I believe that the titration results are getting inaccurate due to the formation of Nickel Sulfate.
I Electropolish Stainless steel grade 316 and I use a polishing solution comprising of Sulphuric acid, Phosphoric acid and water.

This was the titration procedure that I have been using to determine the acids:

Determination of phosphoric acid by methyl orange indicator
1. 5mL of the concentrated EP solution was diluted to 500mL.
2. 10mL of this diluted solution was taken in a conical and was further diluted by adding 150mL DI water.
3. Methyl orange indicator solution was added to this solution.
4. This solution was titrated with 0.1 N NaOH solution until the colour changed from pink to yellow ->Value A
Determination of sulphuric acid by phenolphthalein indicator
5. Phenolphthalein indicator solution was added to this solution.
6. This solution was titrated with 0.1 N NaOH solution until the colour changed from colourless to pink ->Value B

And, I used the following formulas to determine the acids:

Volume % of Sulphuric acid = (2A-B) x 2.78
Volume % of Phosphoric acid = (B-A) x 6.22
Remaining % is water.

Now, I would like to see if there is a titration procedure to determine the amount of Nickel Sulfate that could be combined with procedure.
I came across a titration procedure for determining the amount of Nickel sulfate by titrating with EDTA against murexide.

Would it be possible to combine this procedure with my existing titration procedure of determining the acids?

Any sort of help is highly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back