Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a transparent plastic that can withstand cryogenic splashing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fr3nch

Industrial
Jun 20, 2014
US
Im building an enclosure for a cryogenic device to guard against cryogenic liquid splashing asphyxiation hazards. The enclosure is a 6' cube and we need to be able to see through the walls. The walls will get cold, but wont be directly exposed to cryogenic liquid unless there is a serious problem. Some ballistics protection would be an advantage too, but its not critical. Any recommendations for materials?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How stiff does it need to be? The best resistance will come from a rubber, i.e. a transparent silicone. Plastics will become so brittle that when cooled that quickly they will probably break. Take a liquid nitrogen source and spray it on some plastics (in a well ventilated area) to see how they resist.

Dr. Chris DeArmitt

Plastics consultant to the Fortune 500:
Webinars on plastics, fillers & impact modification:

I'd try several layers of polycarbonate, separated by air gaps.

I'd expect the innermost layer to shatter easily, and the outer, warmer layers to provide some ballistic protection.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

On second thought, I'd make the innermost and outermost layers from acrylic, which can withstand application of common household cleaning products.

Polycarbonate is spectacularly _not_ resistant to an amazing assortment of common chemicals. Worse, it will not show any immediate effects, but will later shatter like tempered glass when a little stress is applied, i.e., just when you need its toughness for ballistic applications, it will be gone.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back