Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a way to disable or change what the default mate is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suelflow

Civil/Environmental
Apr 6, 2007
US
I’m inserting several hundred parts and one of the mates I’m using is a distance mate. The problem is the default mate is coincident and it cannot be resolved. Each time I select my 2 points S/W tries to apply the coincident for about a minute before I can apply the distance one. No big deal once, but several hundred is several hours. Any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look for some of the mate macros at:

You can then assign the distance mate to a hotkey (I use Alt-C for coincident mates and Alt-X for concentric). Then you can select the two entities you want to mate and hit your hotkey (dare I suggest Alt-D?).

You'll need to make sure that the macro resides in a directory where Solidworks knows to look, but other than that this should work for you.

suelflow,
Several hundred parts with one being a mate, leads me to believe they are the same part at a distance. Is this true?
If this is true then maybe you might look into pattern. If this is not true forget about patterns.

Bradley
SolidWorks Premim 2007 x64 SP4.0
PDM Works, Dell XPS Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 5 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400

This is a pedestrian bridge and I am adding the handrail supports that are 4’-0” on center (the distance mate). On the flat and straight areas I have used patterns but most of it is helically shaped. I like the idea of the hot key macro but did not find it. Turning off the preview works, but I need it on for the other 2 mates needed to attach it, so I’ll have to see if it saves me time taking the other steps needed to turn it on and off between mates…

I have found that if I select the distance mate button and value prior to selecting the points it does not have to think about the coincident mate. Thanks for the input.

Thanks.
A little slow but they work fine.
Do you know if you can change the default value for the distance mate?
Mine goes back to 1” every time.

Sorry, should have chimed in sooner. If you're not done yet, try changing the number 0.0254 in Matt Lombard's macro to 1.2912. That will get you 4'.

Sorry for the delay, I was out of town on business…

Anna,

No it reverts to 1” regardless of how it is applied.

Handleman,

Thanks, I have not written/edited macros as of yet but I’ll tinker with it and see how it goes.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back