Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IS THERE A WAY TO PUT PROE MODELS ON GOOGLE EARTH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

t2b

Mechanical
Jan 8, 2007
GB
IS THERE A WAY TO PUT PROE MODELS ON GOOGLE EARTH?

I'D LIKE TO SHARE MODELS WITH CUSTOMERS WHO ARE 'COMPUTER ILLITERATE'- THINKING GOOGLE EARTH MIGHT HELP.

I KNOW EDRAWINGS WERE SELF EXTRACTING IN THE EARLY DAYS BUT THE NEW VERSIONS NEED BUYING FOR THIS FEATURE.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Save the models in OBJ and the try to import them in Google SketchUP. I'm not sure if Sketch Up can import the OBJ files, but it it the only way to export ProE files to a polygon based software like 3D Studio, LightWave, Maya etc etc.
Or maybe using VRML...

Good luck

-Hora

To complement Hora's post:
I've brought Pro/E models into sketchup using third party software (Polytrans).

I got the best results using Polytrans to export the model to 3DS format and then open this file in sketchup. You should familiarize yourself with the Soften Edges command in sketchup, since the polygon model will show many edges which you probably don't want. the soften edge command 'hides' edges with an angle (dihedral) over a specified value.

An alternative to this method (actually something I am working on right now) is to export the models to STEP format and bring them into Microstation, which has tools to place a model into google earth.

Wow... I have no idea what the purpose of this would be...
can someone give me an example of how this would be used? Are we talking about models of buildings? Is this so you can use Google Earths rotate and pan features?

David

We design testing facilites in Pro/E and Autocad.
Being able to (easily) take a facility, building and all, and drop it into google earth in the actual location where it will be built goes a long way when pitching a multi-million dollar project.

That's what I figured. Sounds very usefull.
I wouldn't mind seeing something you've done this with.
Could you email me a link to
d_e_sloop at hotmail dot com
Thanks...
We may be able to use this for our business also.

David

I wish I had something readily available but I don't. My employers wouldn't appreciate me sending off client files either [smile]

Once I get a bit of time, I may be able to set up a tutorial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back