Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

is there a way to stop refreshing the edges in a fairly complex object

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjanes

Computer
Mar 12, 2013
US
I am trying to manipulate two objects in 2013 and my system seems to have difficulties when trying to do a combine on those two objects. I can't select either because the refresh of the edges seems to always start over each time I move my cursor. I am new to Solidworks so it may be a simple setting but I can't find it or even what it may be called so I can look for it.
To give you some background I sketched three shapes in the front plane, extruded them. Then I moved to the right plane and sketched three more shapes extruded them and then tried to combine and leave only pieces common to both objects.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds more like a graphics issue to me. A few simple extrudes shouldn't be causing such pain, IMO. What are your system specs, including video card and driver?

Jeff Mirisola
My Blog

Not too good with videos yet....yes I need to learn....just no time right now.... but I can descibe the issue so you can replicate.
The object was an experiment. Have you ever seen those cube shapes that when you look at it on one side you see one word and then if you look at a different word you see a different word. That was what I was trying. I went to the Right plane and sketched "N E A T" using just lines no text. I then extruded it to make object1. Then went to the Front plane, and sketched 'I T E M' and then extruded that into object two. I made sure the extrusion width and depth matched on each object. Made them overlap completely. That is when things started going nuts on me. I wanted to use the combine command and end up with only the parts of each object common to both. Hope this helps It may be a resource issue have to check that.
But what I saw was as I moved my cursor it would try and redraw the edges of the object. I turned hidden lines off but it still was calculating them and if I didn't move the mouse eventually it would finish both objects but move my mouse and it would start over.

I will try for a video soon but not today, too many other bigger issues.

I will try the freeze bar

Most of us are also busy ... please post the part using the ENGINEERING.com link below the Reply box.
We can then check whether it's an options setting or the method of creation or ???

Check out the SolidWorks RX functionality it allows you to save videos of a problematic SolidWorks session. It's mostly used for tech support or bug reporting and it can now start recording mid SolidWorks session as of 2009 release I believe it's under the SolidWorks Tools subfolder of your SolidWorks start menu folder.

Make sure the record with video is actually marked the UI leads people to believe that it is active because it is not greyed out when not selected and looks checked off.

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ mcSldWrx2008
= ProE = SolidWorks

You could have found the intersecting geometry with the second extrude rather than doing a Combine.
Drag the bar at the end of the feature tree above all features.
Save the file in this rolled up state.
In Windows Explorer right click on the file name and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back