Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is there any book that provide guidelines for dome roof/flat bottom tank with 340kpa design P.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pv_mkk

Mechanical
Jun 11, 2015
TH
My client has inquiry about a dome roof, flat bottom tank with internal pressure of 340kpa.

The size is gigantic Dia=8m H=5m. (Their existing tank only ATM)

I don't think it's practical from my experiences. If I go for Sec VIII Div.1, the thickness will be skyrocket.

Is there any book that provide guidelines an economical design for this kind of tank?

All I can come up is converting to horizontal capsule tank.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In most places in the world 3.5 bar at that volume takes you by law into Pressure vessel territory. This is most definitely NOT a TANK

Longer and smaller diameter is probably more economical - look up Propane "bullets".

What are you storing?

Double check the pressure.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Okay, so that's 50 psi.
I'm not aware of any book, and that's not the problem.
API-620 doesn't cover pressures that high.
ASME doesn't cover flat-bottom tanks in a reasonable way.
Consider a small sphere, or a tank with F&D heads supported on a skirt or legs.
Multiple tanks of a size that can be shop fabricated may be more economical.
If you can drop the pressure to 15 psi, then API-620 may be quite a bit cheaper.

I agree with the wise statements above ....I do not believe that a single flat bottomed tank is practical at that design pressure.

Neither API-650 or 620 are suitable

Revisit your process desired volume and design pressure .... Must the design pressure be so high ? How was the design pressure established

As stated above, Perhaps multiple horizontal pressure vessels with eliptical heads might be suitable.... Designed to ASME VIII

Used pressure vessels should also be considered

Where in the world will this new tank be located ?

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

pv_mkk said:
Is there any book that provide guidelines an economical design for this kind of tank?
See Long&Garner's Guide to Storage Tanks and Equipment and particularly chap. 9 for large pressurized tanks. Optimum type of tank for storage of mid-vapor pressure fluid has no simple solution as capex&opex resulted depends on local conditions.

Sources that might help in feasibility study:
- Walas&Couper's "Chemical Process Equipment. Selection and Design" chapter "Cost"
- Couper's "Process Engineering Economics"
- Brown's "Engineering Economics and Economic Design for Process Engineers"
- Peters&Timmerhaus's "Plant Design and Economics for Chemical Engineers"
- Seider's "Product and Process Design Principles"
- Towler&Sinnott's "Chemical Engineering Design"
or calculator

Note that real feasibility study is expensive and costs 0.2-3.0% of capex. See UNIDO's Manual respective.

Let me post an extract from UNIDO's manual concerned your case:
"Developing and developed countries alike are increasingly in need of properly prepared feasibility studies for taking sound investment decisions. In the past, too many investment projects did not produce the outputs for which they were originally designed or their actual construction costs exceeded those that had been envisaged. For this reason, many financial institutions are increasingly relying on well-prepared investment studies to avoid cost overruns later on, for the investors as well as for themselves."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back