Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there any FEA software capable of applying parabolic loads without me making linear approximation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITsSB

Civil/Environmental
May 6, 2022
ET
I have an RC Pipe and I want to apply parabolic loads to its base and see its response. So far I have been told to approximate it with equivalent trapezoidal loads. My problem is the slope of the curve changes rapidly(narrow curve)that I would need too many approximations. So, is there any FEA software to apply a parabolic load as it is (or takes less effort to make decent approximation) or any other suggestion is welcomed.
Standard_Installations_qvkqp7.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Strand7 will let you input any load according to whatever function you like, e.g. parabolic, sinusoidal, exponential, whatever

I agree with @IDS, put as much as nodes you can, the greater the number the more accurate your prabolic distribution will be. Calculate the load on each node in an excel sheet then transfer it to the software. I use SAP2000 usally. you can export or import data from excel sheet.

How do you plan on building your model? The answer may depend on what elements you use but ultimately the loads will probably be applied on nodes.

@bugbus I tried to model the cross section of the pipe as a beam element but I couldn't apply the parabolic load. Do I just write the equation of the function on beam attributes? what parameters does the function use or can you redirect me to some good tutorial.

Not many of the FEA programs geared towards the Structural Engineering market (to my knowledge) can do parabolic loads.

I've typically done one of two things:
a) Piecewise linearly varying distributed loads, breaking the load into a different load ever 10% of the member length. That gives a pretty good representation of a parabolic load.

b) Or, just add joint loads along the length of the member and vary those loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back