Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there any way to get Cc and Cr values from Lab Data 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmitBakane83

Geotechnical
Feb 15, 2010
US
I am using old technique (plotting tangenet to consolidation curve) to calculate Cc and Cr values for Settlement calculation,

So I have Consolidation Results from Lab, is there any spread sheet or program available to calculate Cc and Cr Directly..I have uploaded my Console spread sheet below, please let me know, is there any direct way to find Cc and Cr
Thanks./.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, you can write some programming to get Cc and Cr from spreadsheet. But tedius.
What's wrong with the old method. It gives you a good feel for the accuracy when you plot manually.

visual curve fitting, a pencil and a straighedge are all you need - and about 3 minutes (well reading glasses too, perhaps?)

Did it this week - no problems!

f-d

¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

Might I suggest you have the plot put in the form of loge-logp. This usually gives two straight lines and the intersection is putatively the preconsolidation pressure. You should be able to determine the "intersection" point and determine the "straight-line" equations (i.e., Cc; Cr). Don't have the time to try it myself at present.
Casagrande did some consulting work for our company in Canada before I joined - my mentor was a student of his. One of our engineers did a whole lot of e-logp constructions and kind of beamed with pride when showing Casagrande. He looked at the curves and made a few adjustments - that didn't fit the "model" we all learned. When asked, he intimated that he came up with the procedural construction so that he could "teach" his students.
Question as to why are you still plotting e-log p anyway rather than strain-log p. The latter gives Cc/(1+eo) directly. and, you don't have to guess at the Gs value or do the test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back