Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there cost effective way to remove chlorides from wastewater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

briandestefano

Civil/Environmental
Apr 7, 2008
US
Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone who helped me on my previous questions.

I am working on a project where I am trying to use a residential type septic tank and absorption field sewage disposal system for an existing relatively small catfish smokehouse. I have taken some water samples to see what is in the wastewater and have found that the concentration of chlorides (approximately 500,000 mg/L) is more than twice the allowable limit in my area.

So, what could be done to bring the water to a satisfactory level without spending tons of money?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no cost effective way. You are looking at an extremely expensive evaporation process. Expensive to purchase and expensive to operate.

Suggest you try for a less stringent permit or move you facility to a location where you can discharge.

That concentration sounds high. Do you mean 500,000 ug/L? As bimr mentioned in a previous thread, a change to the processing operation in the smokehouse may cost less than an "end of pipe" solution here. Or could they just haul it to the local WWTP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back