Is there room for Industrial Engineers in the Energy Industry? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorge Paciullo

Industrial
Dec 4, 2017
BR
Hi folks,

I am graduated in Industrial Engineering, despite my passion being renewable energy and energy efficiency. I only found that out during my senior year, so I chose to finish my graduation instead of changing to electrical/mechanical engineering or some other course that'd grant me greater chances of joining this market. Is there room for people with the same graduation as I do in the Energy Industry? Getting post graduate studies in the area is tottally an option for me.

Thank you in advance for all those who share any advice.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think it's likely you'll find a company to hire you for a role where you will make a direct contribution in those fields, e.g., system design, analysis, or integration, without a more pertinent degree. You could make an indirect contribution, e.g., work for a company that manufactures products used in the energy industry like PV panels or electrical switchgear and help streamline their production lines.

Have you considered earning a master's degree in renewable energy engineering?

xnuke
"Live and act within the limit of your knowledge and keep expanding it to the limit of your life." Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Xnuke yes, I have. Getting any postgraduate studies certificate or master degree in the area is a viable option for me, especially if it increses my chances

While you may not be able to step right into "Energy Engineering" you can absolutely get gainfully employed in the energy efficiency industry. I am working on getting a Certified Energy Manager certification through the Association of Energy Engineers. It's a one week intensive class with an exam at the end. I am taking the class the first week in June. Your credentials are actually required as prerequisite to qualify for the class. You should be able to get a position in industrial, commercial or residential industries as an Energy Manager with this certification.

As an Energy Manager you will be very familiar with Utility Billing, HVAC, Electric Motors, Lighting, and water use. You will be recommending energy management opportunities (EMOs) while understanding the cost and demonstrating the payback. It sounds like you would be great in improving manufacturing processes to cut down on energy consumption.

Good luck and follow your passion!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back