Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is this a good idea 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ME82

Mechanical
Feb 5, 2005
US
working 40hrs and doing full-time schooling in mechanical engineering courses. I really do not want to do this, but i do not have many options left to choose from.

My goal is to complete all the lower division classes and then hopefully end up getting a part time job so i can concentrate on the upper division courses.

So far everyone is saying this is suicide, what do u think.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ME82,

I was in the same situation when I completed my undergrad degree. If I had to do it all over again, I would've taken out some student loans because the lower division classes are really the foundation of upper division. I can tell you it will be a tough road but not impossible. Depending on your location most firms offer great parttime student engineer positions that pay above average wages compared to retail. Do not short change your future investment by working yourself into an early grave [hammer]

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 2.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Do you trust your intuition or go with the flow?

I think it will be very tough. Even lower division classes(which I assume are the US equivalent to core courses like calc, physics, humanities etc.) will require a good deal of time, if nothing else just physically going to class. A typical semester load would be 4-6 classes. There's probably no avoiding 14-16 hour days, every day. If your classes meet once a week at night, they're usually 2 1/2 - 3 hours long. If they meet 2 or 3 times a week during the day, you'll have to make up missed time at work. This leaves weekends for all assignments, studying, sleep, etc and a few minutes for your sanity.

I'm taking one graduate course a semester now with 45 hours at work and it is enough for me.

A lot depends on your school. Some larger schools try hard to weed out less determined students in the first two years. I went to a small private school that was interested in retention.

I know a couple people who got through engineering school while working, but it took 6 to 8 years.

Are you working in an engineering-related position (drafting, design, QA)? Is your employer paying for your schooling?

It sounds like a suicide. In my last year of college, I was taking bare minimum number of units to be considered full time (12 units out of a 15 unit on a normal schedule) and working 6 hours a day with one hour commute one-way. It was extremely difficult but I made it through.

If you are in lower division, I encourage you to cut your hours at work. You don't want to burn yourself out.

Schedule your classes all in the morning or all in the afternoon so you reserve a block of time for work. Also consider taking MWF or TTh schedule.

Best of luck

I managed to complete my undergrad degree working 10 hours per week during the first two years and 20 hours per week during the last 3 years. I did take 5 years to complete a 4 year degree (without coop or internship). I worked at an engineering firm and found it valuable in applying some of my courses.

The advantages:
I was able to apply some of the learnings from school.
I did not need an internship to get relevent experience and networking ability.
I had a job right out of school and a lot of contacts in industry.
I had a job where my hours were pretty much restricted from 8 to 5, so I had time to do some school work in the evenings.
I never had to look for a summer job.

The disadvantages:
My grades were only average.
Not every employer is flexible.
Not everyone will be able to get a job where they can apply their courses.
It took me 5 years instead of 4.
My social life suffered (somewhat).
I still needed student loans to live.

This all really depends on your personality, how you work under pressure, and how good you are at multitasking. I know others that have tried this and failed miserably. If I could go back and try again, I don't think I would change a thing.

Hopefully this helps in your decision.

TheTick

see that is one of the bad parts, that im not working in any engineering related field, nor my employer is paying for my education

Hiebs

Those two lists that you wrote are so true.

If everything goes well, i should be working 34hrs a week hours beginning next monday.

hopefully this should give me more time to concentrate on school work, cuz to tell you the truth heres my situation while working 40hrs and taking 15units a QUARTER

*Missing One Meeting out of two for one class a week
*Turning in only half of the hw assignments in, inorder to put it more time in for the exam.
*Constantly burned out
*My Social Life is suffering

ME82,

One good thing once you get all you lower division completed you will be able to work as an engineering assistant at most any company. We had companies seeking out sharp students to do part time work during the school year which in most cases turns into full time work in the summer. I did a four year gig at CalTrans in there CADD Technology department doing CAD development, and writing training manuals. It paid $12/hr which in 1991 was a good part time wage. Best of luck.

Heckler

ME82,

My senior year I carried a full load and worked part time in an unrelated field. The trick was I worked all my hours on the weekend. 2 twelve hour shifts per week. My social life suffered, but it paid for rent and food.
Life is all about choices. [smile2]

Two mechanical designers (community college degrees) at my firm are going after there mechanical engineering degrees. They both started at a community college part time to get the basics (math, science, and a few electives) out of the way and worked full time during this. This usually meant working longer days to get 40 hours in. They are both now transferred to the university taking 12 to 15 hours a semester and they have switched to part time at work through this period. Both are also taking summer school (this summer).

You said:" i do not have many options left to choose from". That means all. Go for it. Don't listen the others, listen yourself. It will be tough, but if you convince that you can make it, you will probably do.
If I have heard the others, I wouldn't be finishing my MBA and keeping a full time job (50h/week minimum). Everybody was saying "Is too hard"; "Your work will suffer"; "What about your wife?" etc.
I made and analysis and went ahead. And gladly I didn't follow the others.
A couple of suggestions:
1-Convince your wife (if you're married)-Most important point;
2-Convince your boss of the advantages of going to study and how this will influentiate your future work.

During my undergrad school I worked full time with a full course load, it's doable, just very busy. I wouldn't expect much of the fun college life, maybe a night out on the weekends every now and again. I know I spent my days at work, or working on homework. But the good side of it was I only owed a coupla thousand in loans after graduation.

Also, I had no job for most of my last semeseter at school, final projects and such just took way too much time. But it's only for a few years!

ME82,

As an engineering educator for the last 15 years, I have seen a lot of people try to work full time and take a full course load. I can only think of 1 very exceptionalstudent who was able to do it. His work was in manufacturing which helped a bit. Most people who try to do both on a full-time basis drop out after the first semester.

In my classes, (fundamental lower-division courses) I tell students they should be prepared to spend 2 to 3 hours of prep time out of class for every hour of in-class time. (This is a standard estimate at our college.) Since people learn at different rates, some students require less time and some require more time.

It is possible to do what you suggest, but as others indicated, life is about choices. Something will have to give way to work or study. If you have a family, your family life will likely suffer. You could try a full-time load for a term and see how it goes... adjust your schedule if necessary to realistically match your abilities and availability. The lower-division courses are the basis for upper-division courses.

Best wishes,

Ed

A tough call. When I was in those fundamental classes, I was far less efficient than now. Back then, I spent every last ounce of time and energy on the classes so I would've been deadmeat if I had more than a 10-20 hour/week job. I think I'm more efficient now, but can't be sure.

I think I'd be trying to think of a way to work about 20 hours/week plus a slightly reduced load, say 12 hours/semester. I think that could be done for sure for an adult. Those earlier classes are terribly difficult -- in many ways they seem more difficult than the grad-level classes I've taken. I'm sure it's just a matter of learning how to learn.

DES

Another set of questions (apologies for any repeats):

[ul]
[li]How old/mature are you?[/li]
[li]How motivated are you?[/li]
[li]Do you have a family?[/li]
[li]Are you prepared to deny yourself any leisure time outside of school breaks?[/li]
[li]What's the nature of your job? If it's fairly mindless, that's one thing -- if it takes thought, judgement, and consideration, that's another.[/li]
[li]How much flexibility to you have in your work schedule?[/li]
[/ul]

--------------------
Bring back the HP-15
--------------------

How much fire do you have in your belly to complete the course ? The drive or urge has to come from within. If you think you CAN, you CAN. It's a question of mind over matter.

Good luck.

HVAC68

When I was back in univ, I a minimum of 15 hours per week and took a full course load, 24 hours of lectures in my first year. It seemed to get easier for me as I went along though and by my final year I was doing 20 hours, all night shift plus a full course load and thesis. I still found I had more time in my final year than in my first year. My commute to univ was also a minimum of 1 hour each way.

Those hours at work were not wasted however because I managed to get a security guard job, which not only paid better than retail but allowed me to study. I also had plenty of time for a social life. I didn't have this luxury in my final year as the job I took was as a security person in a night club so I couldn't just whip out the books and study, however while working there my need for a social life was satiated as I had no will go to another bar or club b/c it felt like I was working.

My two hour commute each day was also well used, I read alot of the course material I would not have read otherwise.

So in summary I would suggest the following:
1) Get a night watchmen or security guard job, preferably were you are alone and noone will hassle you so that you can study AND get paid.
2)If you must work and CANNOT study while at work take on a job that keeps your social needs somewhat fulfilled, ie. a bouncer or bartender, even a waiter.
3) If you have a long commute to work, DON'T drive in yourself take public transit even if the ride is longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back