Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is this article on Delta-Delta phase rotation correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckeye46

Electrical
Jun 23, 2018
US

I'm a substation maitanence engineer and I just can't wrap my head around it. I personally was always taught you have to put phase rotation (ABC or ACB) as one of the highest priorities. He depicts that if you wire the transformer ACB that the system (ABC) will compensate for this by rotating the vectors in the opposite direction thus still giving you positive sequence essentially, or at least vectorally they will align, I call BS. No matter how I wire a transformer the vectors will always rotate counter clockwise. Can someone chime in and either agree or disagree with a brief explanation? What am I missing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Transformer connections cannot alter phase sequence, and I agree with his vector diagrams. The clockwise vectors are not really reversed, since you still have ABC rotation. You can invert the diagram if you prefer to see counter-clockwise rotation.

So just to confirm, I could wire a delta delta transformer 1 of 6 ways as long as I match H1 to X1 and etc... "phase sequence" can be ignored?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back