Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this bolted joint appropriate? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM_10

Industrial
Nov 30, 2017
DE
Hello,

We are designing an steel curved structure with a rectangular opened section, please see images.

It needs to be able to be opened for maintenance purposes. So, the joining of the different sheets which form the curved beam have to be bolted.

My question is how big can be the hole, so the sheet is not taking any risk due to its thickness (20 mm)
Please, see images which are more explanatory:

Where can I find some rule for this situation?
Thank you in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi JM 10

What loads are on this structure?
You need to give us more information about what this thing does, as it stands I wouldn't go above the 10mm hole size

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

Hello, thank you for your response

Of course,

The idea is to create a steel support (blue) in a ring shape, containing lead blocks (grey) inside:

Total lead weight estimated is 14 Tons, while the ring middle radious is 1,125 m

Several analysis returns that the structure is ok to support this static load. But it was considered as a whole geometry, not taking joints into account

Hi

Thanks for the next picture, it seems to me that the structure takes all the weight and the screw you are referring to merely holds the covers together or have I missed something.

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

Right, that is why I did not show in the first time

Basically my concern is about making the holes in a "so thin" sheet. I am not aware about "how big" can it be with no compromising the material

Hi jom 10

Thanks for the response.
A rule of thumb for bolted joints is that whatever the bolt Siamese is multiply by 1.5 and that's the dimension you need from any plate edge to the hole centre, this ensures that the joint doesn't fail by the joint material failing between the bolt and plate edge.
I appreciate that you did know the bolt wasn't taking much load but reading you're original post I didn't know that.

Desertfox

Ok, thank you very much for the advice

By "siamese" you mean diameter?

Also, do you know any reference where I can check the rule? (not that I do not trust you, it´s because it will be documented If possible)

Thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back