Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this possible to CNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

valmeidan

Aerospace
Dec 13, 2011
CA
I did an analysis in solidworks and it said a few features are inaccessible, I am assuming it is saying that because of the radius in these grooves. This part will eventually be cast, but for a quick turnaround for proto we want to machine them. Aluminum, plates, overall length of the part is about 7``x 3.5 ``. have a look at the pic attached, can these features be made? alternatives if not possible?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6056a1f6-86d1-45e8-9e17-1bcbebbb6a05&file=Capture_2.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

nothing looks particularly odd ... i'd add fillet radius where you have sharp corners. the item (1) ... looks like you have fillet rad on a external corner, which'd i'd probably make sharp!

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Did SW complain specifically about those grooves?

The one marked 2 is difficult because of the feather edge.
The other two are easy with a ball type end mill.

The features that trouble me are the small corner radii in the
rectangular holes, which require a skinny cutter projecting very far from its collet to clear the adjacent shoulder features.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

The #2 as Mike suggests would have to be milled on the flat after the curve. Otherwise the curve cut would push the material out.
What is the size of the part, and radii?

Chris, CSWA
SolidWorks 14
SolidWorks Legion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back