Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this scope B31.3 or B31.4? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfocusPaul

Industrial
Jan 23, 2007
GB
Hello forum,

I'm involved with a couple of large independent storage terminals (liquid hydrocarbons for the most) over here in Europe as an API 570/653 inspector. The terminals are tanker offload facilities, and the owners are trying to put together a responsible piping inspection program based around API/ASME, but have very little construction/maintenance history (>40 yr old facilities).
Does any body out there have experience of a similar situation. We would like to make some design checks for tmin and also future operating pressures, but we are not sure whether the piping should be accepted under B31.3 or B31.4 scope. I'm aware this will be the owners decision but it would be good to hear advice from the experts, as I'm sure you all realise the different stress values, weld efficiency etc involved. I would like to try and assist to get a balance of safety but not over cautious and call unnecessary repairs.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

PSLPaul (Industrial)

Additional Reading:

Std 2610 ?
Design, Construction, Operation, Maintenance & Inspection of Terminal and Tank Facilities
(ANSI/API 2610-2005)
Covers the design, construction, operation, inspection, and maintenance of petroleum terminal and tank facilities associated with marketing, refining,pipeline, and other similar activities. Covers site selection and spacing, pollution prevention and waste management, safe operations, fire prevention and protection, tanks, dikes and berms, mechanical systems (pipe, valves, pumps and piping systems), product transfer, corrosion protection, structures, utilities and yard, and removals and decommissioning.
2nd Edition / to be published Q1, 2005

Regards
Leonard Stephen Thill,
Past Member: API 653 ATS

L S THILL

You will most likely need a combination of B31.3 and 4, and perhaps more still to cover the entire facility. The B31.4 code applies to pipeline (and piping) facilities, but may not include all equipment in terminal facilities, most notably pressure vessels, pumps and meters, for which you should look to apply B31.3, or other codes .1 or .9, etc. according to each of their particular scopes of coverage.

B31.4 applies to hydrocarbons, liquid petroleum gas, anhydrous ammonia, alcohols, and carbon dioxide.

400.1.1 This Code prescribes requirements for the design, materials, construction, assembly, inspection, and testing of piping transporting liquids such as crude oil, condensate, natural gasoline, natural gas liquids, liquefied petroleum gas, carbon dioxide, liquid alcohol, liquid anhydrous ammonia, and liquid petroleum products between producers’ lease facilities, tank farms, natural gas processing plants, refineries, stations, ammonia plants, terminals (marine, rail, and truck), and other delivery and receiving points. (See Figs. 400.1.1 and
400.1.2.)

400.1.2 This Code does not apply to (a) auxiliary piping, such as water, air, steam, lubricating oil, gas, and fuel
(b) pressure vessels, heat exchangers, pumps, meters, and other such equipment including internal piping and connections for piping except as limited by para. 423.2.4(b)) <addresses cast iron>[/color grey]
(c) piping designed for internal pressures
(1) at or below 15 psi (1 bar) gage pressure regardless
of temperature
(2) above 15 psi (1 bar) gage pressure if design
temperature is below minus 20°F (?30°C) or above 250°F
(120°C)

(e) petroleum refinery, natural gasoline, gas processing,
ammonia, carbon dioxide processing, and bulk plant piping, except as covered under para. 400.1.1(c) <my note: 400.1.1(c) allows for coverage of piping in plant areas specifically reserved for piping to be covered under B31.4>[/color grey]
(f) gas transmission and distribution piping
(g) the design and fabrication of proprietary items of
equipment, apparatus, or instruments, except as limited
by para. 423.2.4(b) <addresses cast iron>[/color grey]
(h) ammonia refrigeration piping systems provided for in ASME B31.5, Refrigeration Piping Code
(i) carbon dioxide gathering and field distribution
system

Typically B31.3 would be applied to remaining hydrocarbon piping and many auxiliary systems for air and water in the terminal, however you still may have to revert to other codes to include all the facilities within the plant, such as B31.1 for power systems.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

B31.3 Applies to

(b) This Code applies to piping for all fluids, including
(1) raw,intermediate, and finished chemicals
(2) petroleum products
(3) gas, steam, air, and water
(4) fluidized solids
(5) refrigerants
(6) cryogenic fluids

B31.3 has mostly the same exclusions as B31.4, I would say as a rule of thumb, look at the diagrams in B31.4 and anything outside of that would fall into B31.3. (Unless of course B31.3 excludes it and /or it falls into the pressure/temperature and scope of B31.1) Ultimately, I would approach it by first gathering all pertinent operating parameters and then establish your code boundaries(ie. B31.4, and B31.3)The owner has a big part in determining those boundaries if they are in a gray area.( See B31.3 para 300 (b) (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back