Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is ventilation required for Electrical Switchgear Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mech5

Mechanical
Mar 21, 2007
US
I have a space that houses electrical switchgear. I'm planning on specifying a conventional split system to do the job. I'm wondering if I need to bring in OA by way of a duct (this would increase the cost of the total system). Section 401.3 of IMC 2009 states that ventilation is required during times when the space is occupied. The space won't ever be occupied. Is this essentially stating that I don't need OA? I know that ASHRAE has their own standard practices that encourages the introduction of OA, however, ASHRAE isn't being used by the AHJ.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The space will never be occupied?? So everything you are installing is guaranted to never need maintenance?? You'll never want to monitor the equipmement , perhaps take a voltage or amp reading , the old fashioned way with a human being with a voltmeter / ammeter??s

I'd say if the door is to a ventilated space, the service guy could just leave the door open while he works in there. It wouldn't make sense to install ventilation. If the code says occupied, I'd say that means usually occupied or designed to be occupied.

Depending on your temperature requirements, could you cool the space just with outdoor air and not the split system? that may be more efficient and would ventilate.

to be sure you can ask the AHJ.

I just read Section 402.2 of the IMC and that states that the minimum openable area to the outdoors shall be at least 4 percent of the floor area. There is one large double door that would satisfy the minimum 4 percent area requirement, so no ventilation is nessesary.
Thanks for the input!

If you have transformers in the switchgear room they will give off heat. You can figure that our quite easily to determine if you need ventilation. You have to make sure the room does not get too warm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back