Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is wet saw worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey_nn

Materials
Sep 19, 2019
US
Is there a strong evidence that cutting metal parts (4140,1000 series, cast iron) causes the sectioned plane to ANNEAL?

Our current method is sawing without coolant and plane-grinding off some mil (thousandth of inch) of material.
I appreciate any thoughts/input!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Worth it, especially when the size of material is larger than 1''. Wet saw can prevent over heat to temper your listed materials depending on the thermal history. Very low carbon plain steel, say 1003/1005, may not be a concern though.

I see lots of hardness failures due to sampling. Regrind .05'' off surface with sufficient coolant often make them pass.

We had a long standing disagreement with a supplier of ours about hardness values on heat treated 4340 barstock. In the end, the root cause was that they were using a dry abrasive cut-off saw and not grinding enough material off, resulting in lower hardness values. When we would cut a section of the same bar using a wet abrasive saw and proper grinding practices, we'd get a higher hardness value.

I'd say that using a dry abrasive say will absolutely cause overheating of a material.

Short answer: No. But coolants/lubricants just help with the cutting process in general.

The surface hardness discrepancy you mention sounds very much like that caused by surface decarburization.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back