Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ISA Membership

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The list of benefits is long - see
I have been a member for a while now - I've taken advantage of attending local section meetings for networking and technical presentations, reduced prices on books, a subscription to their monthly magazine, their free buying guide, and free copies of standards. In addition, I'm now subscribing to their technical journal to learn more about new technologies and theories that are making an impact in the field of controls. I enjoy it.

xnuke

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

P.S. If you do decide to join, I'll sponsor you. One of the things I forgot to mention was that sometimes they offer rewards for recruiting. I got a laptop bag last year. If you decide to join, post your e-mail address and I'll send you my membership number for your application. We'd welcome having you as a member. The Instrumentation, Systems, and Automation society offers the best of both the theoretical world and the practical world to practicing I&C engineers.

xnuke

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

I'm surprised you haven't joined ISA (or IEEE?) yet. As a student, you get a big discount on dues.

As to joining after school - it depends on where your career leads you. If you continue working in controls and instrumentation, then ISA membership would definitely be helpful. If you're more into the electrical/electronics side, IEEE may be a better choice.

Then, there are many other industry-specific organizations, depending upon your field.

You could always join for a year and check it out. Dues are tax-deductible (sometimes).

With most organizations you get a membership discount if you register to attend paper presentations at trade shows. For example, the ISA show in Houston begins around 20 October. Join if you register to obtain the discount.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back