ISO 15590-2 Equivalent API / ASTM Material Grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPSK

Materials
Apr 26, 2012
AE
Hi all,
I have a clarification regarding the material grade. In our Project Specification the material grade is given as ISO 15590-2 for Tee & Elbow. I want the equivalent material grade in API or ASTM (For Pipeline Section). can any one guide me in this how to identify the equivalent material grade.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no equivalent. If you want an alternative try MSS SP-75, or ASTM A420, but then you have to tailor the chemical, mechanical, corrosion, and dimensional properties to fit the ISO standard. Ultimately, the specification will require that "ISO 15590-2' appears on the inspection documents.

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

Well ISO 15590-2 is really a material standard, not a "grade". So I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

When you buy something to that standard, you need to specify the min yield stress (i.e. "grade")

Given that it was intended to serve what is now an obsolete version of ISO 3183 (2003), this seems a bit of an odd choice to use.

For pipeline fittings I think MSS SP-44 (flanges) or SP 75 is a better standard to use.

So you would e.g. specify line pipe as say API 5L PSL 2 Grade X65. ISO 15590-2 is more like the "API 5L" bit of that, not the "X65" bit.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

MrPSK,
Here is the way I understand the ISO 15590-2:
1. It only provides the manufacturing standard/rules for the fittings for the matching Pipeline.
2. Unlike many American Standards, it doesn’t directly permits to use any alternative standard material or allows to qualify one.
3. However, it specifies ASME B16.9, MSS-SP-75, ASME B31.8 under ‘Normative References’. Normative Reference means these are widely used standards but doesn’t mean that it gives you permission to use these materials unless stated in the main document.
I suggest that you search for code cases/ interpretation where ISO may have given permission to use these materials.

You need to check:
If your state/local regulator permits direct use of ASTM/ASME standard materials.

Many Vendors will sell ASME B16.9, MSS-SP-75 standard materials but many not provide you with the delivery conditions of the fittings required by ISO 15590-2. Depending on the quantity, they might offer you with additional tests at added cost. Make sure that material chemical compositions stays within the iso 15590-2 limits.

Your project specification specifies you to use ISO 15590-2 fittings only. You might request a technical deviation for the ASME/ ASTM materials. The Owner must have used these materials elsewhere and might approve your request.

GDD
Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back