Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISO 3834 requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

deco0404

Mechanical
Nov 3, 2009
GB
Hi Guys,

we are working on a gas line, quality management standard is 3834-2, what I would like to know is where does it say how you decide to use 3834-2, 3 or 4.
I have gone through a pile of standards looking for a specific answer to this, but none can be found. Gas spec is BS EN12732 which just says use appropriate levels from EN729( which has been replaced with 3834 )which has our system as category D, but everything after that is just a recommendation

thanks

Derek

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think ISO 3834 is a quality management system, just like ISO 9001, except that it's special for companies involved in welding,
as welding is recognized as a special process (you can never 100% accurtaely determine the weld quality by NDE etc).

In ISO 3834, there are 3 quality levels; 2 (highest, 3 and 4 (lowest). The level tells which requirements have to be met for the quality management system.
The quality system will be supported by a bunch of docs that describe and guarantee the companies' quality for all processes involved in welding, like (filler) storage, heat treatment, material handling, marking/labelling, calibration, documentation, etc.

So, ISO 3834 is not a standard that defines how something should be designed, or how NDE should be executed, but more how a company deals with all these steps in the welding and fabrication process.

Just google 'ISO 3834' and im sure youll get more enlightenment on what it really is.
Hope this helps.

Derek,

I could go on forever about ISO 3834,

I have a heap on literature from my University on the ISO 3834 system and how it all works ect ect. I can send it to you if you like ?

Welding Engineer
MSc Weld Eng,IWE,CEng
Australia

Part 1 of ISO 3834 (in particular annex A) will help you select what quality level you require. I don't think you will find any standards/documents that say welding management of gas pipeline shall be to ISO 3834 part 2. Essentially, it is left up to the client and it comes down to the risk of failure of the product. IMO high risk pressure equipment and piping should be a 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back