Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ISO 9001-2000 and TS 16949

Status
Not open for further replies.

Histogram

Industrial
Apr 28, 2008
US
Would it make sense for a company that is ISO 9001-2000 certified, and has been told by a big customer, that it must get TS 16949 to abandon the ISO 9001-2000 cert and get the TS 16949 cert and use this as its sole QMS. Thus alleviating the expense of operating two QMS systems. I know TS 16949 is automotive and ISO 9001-2000 is a general QMS system which usually means nothing to customers anyway. Just a thought. Any opinions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are the 2 mutually excluding? Back in the UK in aerospace/defence we had multiple approvals, all based around the ISO as the core.

Do any of your other customers care?

Are you primarily automotive supplier?

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

The request for TS 16949 is from a new customer with high volume potential. The automotive customer is a new prospect not our standard customer base. If we want their automotive work we must be TS 16949. As far as existing customers I do not believe any specifically requested ISO 9001-2000 they just wanted a formal QMS in place.

Still, I'd look at adding the auto specific one on top of the ISO, basically piggy backing. Although I'm not familiar with TS 16949, maybe there is something that precludes this.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

If you look at the ISO site, this technical specification is an adjunct to ISO9001:2000

This Technical Specification, in conjunction with ISO 9001:2000, defines the quality management system requirements for the design and development, production and, when relevant, installation and service of automotive-related products.

This Technical Specification is applicable to sites of the organization where customer-specified parts, for production and/or service, are manufactured.

Supporting functions, whether on-site or remote (such as design centres, corporate headquarters and distribution centres), form part of the site audit as they support the site, but cannot obtain stand-alone certification to this Technical Specification.

This Technical Specification can be applied throughout the automotive supply chain.

Ken Culverson

Thanks for the input. I am familiar with ISO TS 16949 and ISo_Org. I see you copy and pasted your reply from the abstract on ISo_Org. Thanks anyway.

At my site the customers are off-road or bus & coach as opposed to automotive. However, these customers are also asking us to get TS16949 certification. TS will soon become mandatory for doing business regardless of the type of motor vehicle.

A former employer of mine was certified in both. One customer wanted ISO 9000, the other TS 16949. It really wasn't very difficult to marry the two together. Ask your current customers what they would like, if they want ISO, then keep the program you have. If you want the business bad enough, you'll have to do both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back