Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ISO 9001 document control 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

geesaman.d

Mechanical
Nov 18, 2021
US
Context: I am an engineer with some years of managing controlled engineering documents as our quality team / audit findings advise. My company has changed ownership and the quality system 'rules' seem to have changed on us, such that I want to know where in the ISO 9001 heirarchy I can see the specific requirements.

We currently have location-specific Intranets in the company and the management wants every employee to have access to the rev-controlled documents that exist on the other Intranets. So the revision controlled documents have been copied to a central location without modifying the local quality systems or procedures to divert usage or maintenance activity to it. It's currently just a copy made at a point in time.

I'm trying to understand if any the following things are clearly required or prohibited by ISO 9001, or just popular best practices.
A) Keeping revision-controlled documents (work instructions, design standards, production drawings) in a single location and making sure everyone who needs to use them, has direct access.
B) Keeping a copy of the same revision-controlled documents in a different system/location (for IT/logistical reasons) and having a process to ensure that new revisions propagate to the copied location.
C) Keeping a copy of the same revision-controlled documents in a different system/location (for IT/logistical reasons) and marking them as 'reference only' on the site level, but not within the copied document.
D) Revising a document without changing the revision level and asking the parties who have a copy to destroy the current copy and use the updated copy (same revision level)

Thanks,

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back