Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISO 9001 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwest07

Industrial
May 14, 2007
US
I just started working in a small company. We are trying to get ISO 9001:2000 certification. Any advice on how to get started?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Search for nearest company / companies authorized to issue certification and ask for their priced offer for the consultant work. This will help you sort out your present status, cost and timeframe, and what you can (and must) do yourself.

In addition : ISO is not that different from any other QA system. If what you have already is all 'up and go' you will have a better start than if not.

Make sure you have the proper level identified after you consult with an authorized company. The hardest part is keeping the moral of the workers (especially middle managers) high as it is a lot of boring paperwork. People make it work, not consultants or actual performance.

Signed, first ISO 9002 pipeline in US............

Start looking to see how much procedural documentation you have. If you don't have much, you will need to develop them. If you do have some, see how good they are.

I have spent literally over a year developing procedural documentation for what I do (my department). Almost developed carpal tunnel in my wrists.

Have fun. ;-)

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Hi Midwest7,
As a Quality Manager for a major topside and subsea valve manufacturer the key to a good Quality Management System is to keep it as simple as possible. You don't need hundreds of procedures and forms to make it work.
Look at your business and ask what are we here for? We are all hear to make a profit. Therefore you need to be lean with your processes, to make as little mistakes as possible and to try to design out process and product failures which will cost you profit. Most of all the customer needs to be completely satified with the business interaction with you (service and product). This is exactly what ISO9001 tries to imply with the term Continual Improvement cycle.
Plan - Structure and document what you are doing
Do - carry out the funtion
Check - Evaluate you are meeting with the plan
Act - Any deviations should be addressed and built back into the plan.

I would firstly start by mapping your business processes from start to finish (we call this cradle to grave), this is very easy to do and gives you a good basis for your system.

Next, if you have never undertook this process before, I would take advise of friends or contacts within the quality environment on ISO9001 accrediation bodies and consultants. Use a well recognised body for example Lloyd's Register Quality Assustance. They have a small business team that will act as consultant for you as well as your accrediation body.

Do as much work as you can, this will keep the cost down and spread it across everybody in the business. The Quality Manager is there as police man for the system. It is everbodies responsiblity for the system to work so get as many people involved.

I have seen QMS systems 33pages long and to the other end 400pages long. Both work for the businesses they were in so don't be concerned.
The key is to keep it simple, not over detailed, easy to follow and is an integral part of the business both with people and practice.

Hope this helps and good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back