ISO drafting standard - Thread annotation with depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

George9494

Mechanical
Mar 4, 2024
SE
Hi!

According to ISO 6410-1 Threads can be annotated like so: M20 X 2 - 6h. However, if I need to specify the depth of a threaded hole (for example if the hole doesn't go all the way through), how can this be done?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As one of the following with the text "Minimum Full Thread"

- Append the thread specification with Depth symbol and the depth required
- Section view showing details of thread depth and drill hole depth
- Reference a note with the general thread callout (delta or flag)

DoubleEdge said:
As one of the following with the text "Minimum Full Thread"

- Append the thread specification with Depth symbol and the depth required
- Section view showing details of thread depth and drill hole depth
- Reference a note with the general thread callout (delta or flag)
aZhj2Fu8Rx_m9celr.png

Thank you very much! So it would look like this according to the following the first option.

There should be something on the drawing indicating which thread standard there is. "Minimum Full Thread" strike me as both useful and odd. Odd because if the thread isn't full it won't be compliant with the thread standard. A note about how much incomplete tapping is allowed?? Useful because although it is redundant, it makes a sensible request. Readers know what a Full Thread is.

I lean towards the "useful" in the sense that it beats into the [idiot] reader's head that partial threads don't do me any good but you are fine to have as many as you'd like past where there are full threads. Generally, though, I find I'd care to use a note like that where I know the hole depth will not permit full threads to be successfully created using a tapered tap. So I'm not telling you how to make it, but I'm suggesting strongly to pay attention before you tap it until the tap "bottoms" and we're left with a bunch of incomplete threads and you decide to "send it". [rednose]

In the M10x1.5 - 6H ↓ 10 callout, the 10 is subject to some tolerance, which if unstated explicitly will be the randomly selected "title block" tolerances.

So, M10x1.5 - 6H ↓ 10 Min is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back