ISO tank-containers melting for unloading

Status
Not open for further replies.

shvet

Petroleum
Aug 14, 2015
RU
Dear, forummembers

We need your advise regarding to unloading of trucks and tank-containers.

Benzene is delivered in semi-trailers and 20ft tanks-containers. We need to unload those during winter period. Those are equipped with heating coils but there is a possibility some of these will have no such device. So we need a "plan B".

Please suggest a best device/feature based on your experience in situ. Links and pictures are appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OP,
I have delt with this issue with other high melting point fluids, not benzene though. I've seen four different methods: electric blankets, use warmed fluid to circulate inside the tank, use warm solvent to circulate inside the tank, use steam lances. I don't know which method would be the most appropriate for benzene but based on what I do know about benzene, I think electric blankets would be an appropriate route.

Well benzene has a freezing temp of 5.5C, so this will depend on how cold is your winter and how cold does the product get. Either way it will probably freeze up your nozzles and the product in contact with the cold steel.

Easiest is to inject warm benzene and then recirculate through an inline heater, but if its frozen then you're in a different world of pain.

So yes, electric blankets, hot water / steam spray.

If it's container lower it into a bath of hot water and recirculate the water heating as you go?

Just avoid the direct fire method.....

[URL unfurl="true"]https://res.cloudinary.com/engineering-com/image/upload/v1718730390/tips/ANVe3kLGG72OHQPFt9fyZLi45dpico5GciGZGqSQ-7A_r1avbt.webp[/url]

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Hi,
This product is a commodity product, supply chain route is short. I don't think the product within the tank will freeze, based on my experience with phenol in China.
The only point of concern is the discharge point (nozzle + valve).To me it will be good if your flexible from the iso tank to the pump suction is traced (either steam or hot water).
Pierre

Dear shvet (Petroleum)(OP),

I looked your profile and internet country code seems (RU). If this so, i am sure you have experience for winterizing . I have several years work experience in(RU) and i would say , one can not circumvent the cold temperature requirements .

IMO, in this case the option is heat insulation and heat tracing of the tank and gravity emptying and filling the tanker.

Good luck.

He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock..

Luke 6:48

shvet
Warning - google results aka (i dID mY oWN ResEArcH)

I cannot personally attest to any of these vendors, but these products appear to be what I've seen used before.
Other sources for information:
-The shipper may be able to recommend a manufacture/vendor they have had success with
-Your local insulation / tracing contractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back