Isolating kit instead of isolating joint in ICCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bo7winner

Mechanical
May 27, 2014
TN
Hi all,
For a buried pipeline with impressed current CP system, I am wondering if it's possible to use Isolating kit on above ground flange instead of monoblock isolating joint.
thanks in advance for your support.
bo7winner

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is it possible?

Of course it is. Whether it's the best solution is a different question.

What's the fluid? , pressure, temp?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Hi LittleInch,
thx for your response.
fluid: gas;
Design Pressure (barg):92
Receiving Pressure (barg) :55-65
Design Temperature (˚C) :-10 / 85
Operating Temperature (˚C):20-50

Yes, that's perfectly possible.

However the long term effectiveness and durability of insulating flanges is generally poor compared to a mono block isolating joint Fitting them without breaking the insulating components and getting a bubble tight seal is difficult and some spare components are recommended.

So if you want your ICCP system to fail after 5 years because the insulating flange is shorting then go ahead. Then no one wants to shut the pipeline down and blow it down to replace it, so you can lose CP effectiveness for a long time.

Why don't you want to fit an IJ??

I would only really look at flanges if I had a conductive fluid, but dry gas I would go for an IJ every time.

actually this line will be used only for max one year as line for start up that's why we intend to use isolating kit instead of IJ.
Thanks

Hi LittleInch,

I have a distributed impressed current cathodic protection system for underground (ductile iron) fire network for power plant, the terminal points with fire buildings networks haven't insulation kits between the U/G and A/G networks. I asked the cathodic supplier for this concern and he responded that the insulation kits shall not be needed in such system (distributed impressed system), I don' t have the reference for his claim and the system needs to be handed over to the client.

Thanks.

ahmed,

please don't hijack someone elses post - start a new one yourself and you will get better responses.

I don't know what a "distributed impressed current system" is compared to an impressed current system or indeed why a DI network needs one or how you electrically connect the DI pipes to each other (many systems are push fit). When you make a new post, please add as many details as you can, but it doesn't sound correct to me.

bo7winner - that makes more sense, but you still need to over order the insulating flange or ring and the bolt sleeves. They are notorious for cracking and failing during installation or leaking during pressure test. Also the bolts need to be smaller and stronger to allow the insulating sleeves to fit.

Kits are fine, should be no issues (from the info I have seen here). Just make sure to check the contents of your operating gas/fluid and material compatibility (i.e. sour, etc.) will require different material in the kit. There are also specific installation instructions to follow to state the obvious, and as LI mentions they are higher / may require maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back