Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Isolation valves for PSV 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

wartono

Chemical
Jul 16, 2002
ID
Should I put isolation valves before and after PSV for maintenance proposes or during PSV calibration?

I don't find this kind of rule in the API RP 520 part I and II. Maybe you guys have this experiences please share.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASME code doesnot allow to operate any equipment without PSV on line.If you have two PSVS then you can have CSO isolation valve.Isolating PSV when plant operation is unsafe and risky.

No safety codes would allow the operation of equipment without a full compliment of statutory relief valves, however if the capacity and pressure settings have been selected to exceed statutory requirments then in theory the excess valve capacity could be isolated during operation. In which case the isolation valve would be on the inlet to the relief valve.

The idea of this is to allow maintenance while the plant is in service but whether this is acceptable depends on the pressure. In my experience no one would be allowed to maintain a valve in service above 40bar with just a single isolating valve.

Dear friends,
I learn the PSV connection on the vessels from several P&IDs and it shows that some of them use isolation valves in the outlet connection. May be to protect the back pressure from headers during shutdown time.
Pranit:What is CSO isolation valve?
athomas: What kind of code for the statutory relief valve
I still don't get the point. It impacts on the cost very much. Thanks

CSO valves are Car Seal open valves, Any new construction we are placing gate valves under relief valves to simplify lockout/tagout for inspection. This way the entire process/vessel does not need to be locked out, just shutdown and isolated.When a car seal is cut/removed forms need to be filled out managers called, and the form needs to be posted. When work is complete, the valve must be car sealed open again before putting back in service.
We do a car seal inspection monthly to ensure the valves have not been tampered with.

Isolation valves upstream and downstream of PSVs are usually only required if there are two PSVs in parallel. This then allows one PSV to be removed for maintenance / recalibration / certification while the other remains in service. Of course it is necessary to interlock the isolation valves in such a manner that the vessel is always connected to a PSV. We use this system extensively on 125 bar sour service. Occasionally we provide double block valves upstream of the PSV where the duty is dirty in order to ensure tight shutoff should the PSV need to be swapped out. Be careful that the downstream valve is specified for the correct duty or ensure that both the upstream and downstream valves around the PSV are either both open or both closed. The off line PSV should never sit there with it's inlet open ond outlet closed while the other PSV is in line.

In case of PSv discharge is to atmosphere isolation valve at outlet is not required. If discharge is connected to flare / relief header yes there is need to have isolation valve at both inlet & outlet sides. However there is need to interlock the isolation valves such that at least one of the PSV is always on line.

Just remember that our 1st Priority is to NOT install isolation valves on the inlet to a relief valve. Only if it cannot be avoided are ISO valves installed. If installed, they are only used for ISO purposes after removing the vessel or equipment from service. Even then, procedures must clearly cover this and in-area inspection provided for the duration of the isolation; as alluded to by others in this thread this can be covered in alternate ways using iso valves that are mechanically linked or key-lock systems used to guarantee adequate relief.

If a relief valve needs to be isolated with the vessel in service, then a dual relief valve installation with a 3-way valve that ALWAYS maintains 100% flow area as the valve postion is changed is required. Also remember that when 3-way valves are used that resistance values are different based on the position of the valve for most valves. This difference can be substantial.
The more you learn, the less you are certain of.

I may be missing something, but I always thought that we were allowed to place isolation valves upstream and downstream of a single PSV if:

1. Both valves are CSO
2. A pressure gauge is available in clear view of the isolation valves
3. An operator is stationed at the PSV location for the entire time the valves are closed (i.e., maintenance).

I would really like to hear if this isn't correct, because I've seen this done on several projects by one of the major Engineering companies...

Regards,

Bob

kbander

It sounds as if what you are describing will work although I would prefer a postive lock on the valve. All I am saying is that we do try to avoid isolation valves before and after relief valves. In a chemical plant environment this has been our policy; when ISO vales are needed we try to mechically link valves together or use key-lock valves to be sure there is always a relief valve in service. The best option is a 3-way valve with dual relief valves; we have even used 3-way valves on both the inlet and discharge lines where we went to a common discharge manifold. What you describe as a CSO valve sounds like a conventional gate valve with the ability to seal it so that a seal is broken if it is opened. We would probably opt for a postive lock versus just a seal.
For those who have multiple relief valves on line with ISO valves where the required relief capacity still exists with one relief valve out of service (usually ofr piping only); I might consider what you suggest - but I would still prefer a positive locking procedure. Your other cautions I agree with.

kbander:

What the Code actually says regarding isolation valves for relief valves is described in UG135e; and in Appendix M. How routinely we apply these procedures to each RV installation is what I think we need to be alert to.

UG135e basically says there should be no ISO valves between a vessel and its relief valve or in its discharge line except "when these stop valves are so constructed or positively controlled that the closing of the maximum number of block valves possible at one time will not reduce the pressure relieving capacity provided by the unaffected relieving devices below the required capacity; or under the conditions set forth in Appendix M"

APpendix M says in essence that:

A stop valve may be installed between a vessel and its relief valve for inspection repair purposes ONLY. When done, it should be arranged to be locked or sealed open; and it shall not be closed except by an authorized person who shall REMAIN STATIONED THERE during that period of the vessel's operation within which the valve remains closed; and who shall AGAIN LOCK OR SEAL the valve in the open position BEFORE LEAVING THE STATION. (M-5a)

M-5b allows a block valve in the discharge line of a relief valve subject to pretty much the same comditions as for the inlet line specified in M-5a.

Friends:
I thanks you very much for your helpfull comments especially to CHD01 that give me a clear picture of installing ISO valves on PSV. Thanks.

One word of caution, "Beware of gremlins" no matter how good the check and inspection procedure is, positive lock or CSO block valves in a PSV line is a dangerous-risky business and a severe liability. Just be aware that at some time or another the plant and personnel in the area will get bit. Even if the standards approve the design in some situations. Before installing, at least run a Risk Analysis involving equipment failue and subsequent damage due to overpressure.

saxon - I agree 100% this is why I try to emphasize ISO valves should be a last resort and are the exception rather than the rule! As a motel chain use to say in a TV add - thanks for your support! The more you learn, the less you are certain of.

CHD01-your comments give me very good instruction. Now,we are working on a process plant(EO/EG).The relief valves designed by basic design suppliers can not satisfy the requirement of " at least one inspection per year" of the Codes.Because all the relief valves in PIDs are single and no isolation valves are installed both in inlet and outlet of the relief valves,and no bypass lines and valves are in place for inspection purpose when the relief valves are out of service. So we want to do something to satisfy the Code's requirement. Would you and anybody please give me some instructions? Thanks!

SCL

I'll think about your situation; but believe you will be forced to modify the installations. There is one possibility. You are only required to inspect annually if you have no prior experience with the relief valve in its installed service; or have not a record of inspection results for a valve. With supporting inspection data or previous experience relief valve inspections can be extended to a maximum of 5 years. Thus depending on the size of your plant and the number of relief valves you have and how critical the service is you may be able to either take extended major shutdowns for relief valves over a period of several years OR possibly stagger your relief valve inspections to reduce your workload IF an annula plant shutdown is required. The more you learn, the less you are certain of.

I need to add that the inspection record for a relief valve needs to indicate no relief valve problems were observed on inspection in order to justify a longer inspection period; and that you do not just jump from 1 year to 5 years - ideally you should go step by step. The more you learn, the less you are certain of.

Thanks.
I forgot to tell you that we are working on the detail design of one EO/EG process plant. The current setting of the relief valves in P&IDs are as I described above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back