Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issue with Dual Monitor Screen Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenevil

Automotive
Apr 2, 2013
US
I'm using a laptop with an additional monitor. When I maximize NX on the monitor (1920 x 1200), it extends beyond the display. It seems to be using the resolution from the main display (1600 x 900). Other applications are not doing this. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Generally speaking, all of the testing that we've done, and which we recommend to our users, is that when using two monitors that they both have the same native resolution. Not that it won't work if they're not identical, just that there may be some minor issues similar to what you've described.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I've search and Googled, but I didn't see how I set up dual screens in the first place.

Can you give me "click by click" instructions?

I have 3 monitors, but let's start with the instructions on how to set up two monitors as a start.

Brian
San Diego, CA

Hello Brian.

There is no possibility in NX for configurating dual/tripple monitors.
Creating a dual/tripple monitor setup is done on the computers OS itself and is depending on which Graphical card / drivers you are using.

I did start a thread once on how to arrange the NX windows on a dual monitor setup.

Ronald van den Broek
Mechanical Engineer
Cad Environment Coordinator
Wärtsilä, Propulsion Services
NX8.5.3 / TC9.1.2
HPZ420 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz, 32 Gb Win7 64B
Nvidea Quadro4000 2048MB DDR5
HP EliteBook 8570W Intel(R) Core(TM) I7-3740QM CPU @ 2.70GHz, 16Gb Win7 64B

try this:
Move you nx graphic window on the primary monitor, as (you can) defined in the graphic driver.
In most drivers there is a setting to open input boxes only on one connected monitor , this will center input boxes on another monitor , check this out.

Jerry - I couldn't toggle the display numbers. #1 seems to be locked to the laptop's monitor. However, I did toggle my primary display to #2 and this worked. This is an acceptable solution but I would keep the laptop monitor my primary if I could so I tried what uwam2ie suggested.

uwam2ie - I found a setting that allowed me to specify what monitor applications launch on. This setting had no effect on the NX splash screen (which always opened on the primary display) but did open the main NX program on the specified monitor with the same issue.

Thanks for the help everyone. Unless I hear otherwise, I'm concluding the monitor that you want to view NX on should be set as the primary display.

Thank you.

I am aware of the OS setup of multiple monitors. I should have made my question more clear.

I would like to have an NX graphics window in each of 2 or 3 monitors.

That way, I can have a part open in one monitor, measure it, and use the info on another design that is open in another part that is being displayed in another monitor.

I know what you are thinking..."use dependant expressions for inter-part dimensions". I know how to do that...not interested in that right now.

Any help on how I can have an NX graphics window (with a part open) in each of 2 or 3 monitors?

Brian

Whether you're running NX on a single or a dual monitor set-up, there is no way to have two different part files open in two different windows from within the same NX session. Now it it possible to have TWO simultaneous sessions of NX running at once, one in one window and the other in another window and I suppose that would work fine on a dual monitor, but you'd have to remember that these were were different sessions and that you've need to save one file inb one session and then up the other session before you could see any changes made in the first session.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thanks, John.

That was the info I was looking for.

By the way, I'm back in an NX chair after 7 years absence, due to other jobs.

Glad to see you are still helping this community, John, just like when I left in '07.

Brian
San Diego, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back