Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Issue with Parametric Part Configuration: Excel-linked Fastener Sizes Not Updating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2023
TR
Hello NX Users,

I'm a fellow NX user who's been dealing with an issue related to parametric part configuration. I've been trying to pull parameters from an Excel file for my part model, and I've noticed that these parameters aren't updating correctly.

Specifically, I'm attempting to add fasteners of different sizes based on diameter measurements. I have the necessary data and connections within my Excel file, but I'm struggling with how to incorporate these data parametrically within my part file.

I've double-checked the Excel file's location and connections, and I'm confident everything is set up correctly there. However, I'm having trouble understanding how to configure the parameters and features within my part file.

If anyone has experience with such parametric configurations or could provide any insights on this matter, I'm looking for someone who can guide me on which steps to follow or what configurations to adjust properly.

Any information or experience sharing on navigating such parametric setups would be greatly appreciated.

for example MW Standard Part Library, meusburger, Guide Lock, E2680

Thank you.

Best regards,
[Murat GÜMÜŞ]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Murat,

I might be able to help you with the Excel part, but first may I suggest to use part families instead?
You can create a base part, which contains the part family table, from there you can automatically generate all the members.

In conclusion, you might want to consider the following:
- Use part families instead! You can alter expressions, attributes, toggle features, etc., but still it is controlled from one base part.
- Consider working with plain text expression files instead (import/export from expressions dialogue, CTRL+E).
- To avoid unit conflicts, I suggest you to work with expressions which do not contain units, you still can use these in sketches etc.
- I found the internal spreadsheet not really stable to work with.
- Try to avoid storing information in the internal spreadsheet, it is copied for each part and versions of the sheets start to mismatch.
- In Excel, use the add-in NX functions, make sure you define the range of expressions correctly, and expand it once you make changes (UG_ACTIVE_RNG). Press Update NX Part to update the part.
- Threads are usually not updating correctly, since the thread details are pulled from an internal table, which is not done upon updating. Set all the thread parameters as user input, or set the thread manual.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back