Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issues With Solidworks Simulation Shutting Down Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colfax

Mechanical
Aug 4, 2015
US
Whenever I try to run a simulation in Solidworks 2017 or 2018, my computer shuts down at random times while the problem is running. On the same computer, I can run the same simulation in 2016 and it runs fine. The only issue with using 2016 is all of our models have been updated to 2018 format. When I need to do a study, I have to save my model as a parasolid and set up the study again in 2016. This has become very time consuming. I contacted our Soliworks dealer and was told I have a bad stick of memory and when the study tries to utilize the "bad" stick, the computer shuts down. This was proven to not be the case and I have been not able to get any further assistance on the issue. Has anyone else ran into this problem? If not, does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's liquid cooled and the same exact problem can run in 2016 and does fine. We have monitored everything up until the point it shuts off and nothing seems out of ordinary. My workstation is 100x better than my laptop and my laptop can run the same simulations without issue. The only way this could happen is if the temp. were to spike so fast that it shuts down before the computer can pick up the temperature change. Also, 2016 would have to run the problem with the solve solver in a different manner to get the computer to respond differently. Thanks for the reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back