it is possible to create electrodes in piezo plates and in steel plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyBronny

Mechanical
Dec 4, 2014
PT
Dear all,

I would like to know if it is possible to create electrodes in piezo plates and in steel plates to induce a voltage when the plate is subjected to mechanical loads? Sorry, but my background in piezos is very weak. If it is possible, how can I do that?

Thanks a lot,
Johnny

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why not just a plain strain gauge?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

For other reasons, I have had platinum powder fired onto ceramic objects. The Pt was solderable, but the bond to the ceramic was not real great.

However, a quick search suggests that the people who make ceramic piezo plates will also provide and install whatever electrodes you want. I suggest you let the experts do it, because it may not be something you can do well on your desk, and they have already battled up whatever learning curve exists.

I don't know if steel is piezoelectrically active. Maybe it is at some micro level, but it's also electrically conductive, so I don't know how you would extricate any piezo current out of it.

Strain gages are the first thing that comes to mind for a steel substrate. Have them professionally installed if possible; they are _very_ sensitive to technique. At the very least, read everything you can find about installing and using them. They don't just slap on and give you usable results.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back