Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ITE CR Frame Switchgear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJBatTCE

Electrical
Oct 8, 2001
US
I've come across an ITE device (switchgear?) labeled CR30. It's a 480V 2000A breaker in an FS-20 switchboard. Seeing as the device is older than I am, I'm having difficulty finding specs and operation on this. Does anyone have information on this device? A little more information... CAT NO. ATI-CR30, w/ Amp-Trap Model A6CRA. Circa 1976-1978.

I'm trying to conduct an arc-flash study. We were unable to remove the panel to inspect the device more closely because I left my bomb suit in Baghdad thinking I wouldn't need it again.

Thanks all!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You just need curves? What software are you using? What specs are you looking for?

Well, although Siemens bought ITE 25 years ago, that predates your gear by another 7 or 8 years, so it's doubtful much exists on it.

But you are getting a little luck here. I work for Siemens and have here with me a 1977 Goulds ITE catalog. The CR Series MCCB was a 2000A frame current limiting breaker, but used Amp-Trap fuses inside of it for the current limiting. The entire assumbly was rated for 235kAIC Asym, 200kAIC Sym at 480VAC. The fuses they ALL used were that AT1CR30 and you may be able to go back to Ferraz Shawmut for a fuse curve on that. Unfortunately Goulds did not put the curves in the catalog, and that is all I could find.

jraef, I've managed to make contact with another Siemens person in the meantime. I haven't had much luck with Shawmut on obsolete stuff; if it isn't current they won't provide info on it. They wouldn't provide info in the past on ATS-DE fuses because they were obsolete and didn't have curves anymore. I'm not recommending them to any clients anymore.

Zogzog, I'm using SKM PTW and I need the curves, but I would also like some background operation info on the breaker. I may need to recommend a retrofit if possible.

Thank you both.

I cant find the curves either, I do have a CR3-2000A breaker (Not CR30)here, dont know about a retrofit unless there is a relacement available.

SJB, I have 11x17 sets of curves for the older ITE Gould vintage breakers at the office. IIRC the fuse curves are in it as well. I will not be back in until Tuesday, I could scan it for you then.

The current replacement (if not obsoleted already) would be the Siemens CRD6 series, Cat#CRD63B2000, This would require new mounting hardware aswell. You should also have the client consider replacing the switchboard, as you already are finding out the CR3 frame and fuses are very scare today.

Mike

I have several CR3 frame breakers, not that scarce.

Hard to find is what I do best. That curve is a rare find, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back