Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Items UG needs to fix!! 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellBent

Automotive
Sep 29, 2002
US
I just posted in another thread how I'm always telling myself I need to write down the minor "annoyances" I have to deal with everyday while running UG but I just never seem to do it. For some reason I think having a thread dedicated to just that may help. At some point maybe these items will get the attention they deserve by UG. So I'll start it off with a couple that immediately come to mind:

#1. Fix the darn 2d translators!! Why does making a DXF or a DWG of my drawing have to be so difficult? It has never worked right! Why am I forced to run it through CGM in order to get reliable results?

#2. Let me fix errors during feature creation rather than having to start all over again. I.E. "Through curve mesh" intersection errors force me to fix the intersections and then start all over again. Let me edit the intersections from within the creation menu so I don't have to re-select all of my geometry again! Apply this mentality to all feature creation...give me the ability to fix mistakes on-the-fly.

I think I'll be more likely to add items to a thread on a message board than write them down on a notepad so let's give it a shot!

Take care...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are right,
I have also reported some of the problems which needs to be fixed

1. While editing the sketches I end up with a Ugraf error.
2. Modeling spreadsheet connection failures.
3. Display problems in freeforms and assemblies.

HellBent,

Good Idea for starting a post on this. I've seen similar threads in other posts that help reveal poor QA procedures at some CAD companies. I used to do QA work for PTC so I have no problems interogating UG and finding bugs. Mostly I try to make work around or not use the bad functionality I encounter if at all possible.

#1 Load options - Oh why can't UG automatically try to load from directory first and then the Saved As locations that the referenced files are from then search through a directory list. I sometimes have to switch between several different load options or save specific load options for each project.

#2 SNAP POINT TOOLBAR - When UG implemented this sometimes-useful functionality, why didn't they check to make sure there was no lost functionality or that it would appear when needed.

#3 Project Curves - When you project a curve onto a surface that should result in an arc with a radius in its projected state why does it get made into a spline. I have always been able to do this on Pro/E with no problem but in UG I'd have to create a section curve with a plane parallel to my sketch plane.

Well I have to get back to eating my lunch cause I could go all day with items UG needs to Fix.
[bomb]
Michael

Contour Flanges in NX Sheet Metal do not correctly function with Design Logic - For example, if you want to set the extrusion length on a Contour Flange to be parametrically variable with the length of some other part, you have the option to define the Length as a variable, or as a measurement. But neither the variable nor the measurement will ACTUALLY automatically update. Instead, the numerical value of the variable at the time you created the expression is retained as a static value.

VERY ANNOYING AND UNPRODUCTIVE!!

I think this may be being fixed in NX4, but a maintenance release for NX3 should be issued!

PS can anyone duplicate this behavior?

If you stop maint, can you still use the software? I remember when we stopped Catia maint, we were no longer allowed to sue the software. We were told it was a lease and that we didn't actually purchase it.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2005 SP5.0 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2006 SP1.0 on WinXP SP2

It's quite legal. You pay a one time set fee for your software from UGS, you choose which version. Should you choose NOT to pay maintenance or stop paying maintenance, you're stuck on THAT version and will NOT be eligible for support or new licensing until you pay the maintenance fees.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

There is also a catch-up fee if you stop paying maintenance. The last I heard it was 25% of the cost of a new seat per year that you are off maintenance. Stay off for 4 years and you might as well buy new licenses.

Having been in a large corporation, we went off maintenance in 2002, but I still had tech support by using the site ID from another division.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

hmm, don't know if this is actually a "problem" or not, but when I try to create circular arrays of extruded sheets, I get an error "Tool Body Completely Outside Target Body".

In our company we are moving to V5,
ok UGS is releasing betas and they have to fix the problems. On the other hand there is so much flexibility I like UG.
uw

When I'm post-processing a nc file send it out to batch! Don't make me sit there and wait until it's done posting before I can do anything.

Posting in background should be in NX already. Are you using UG/Post or some other posting module?

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

Yeah...but it doesn't send it to batch from within UG...you have to use UG/Post. I don't know many people that use ugpost...most just post it from within UG. Ugpost is great if you've got a dozen programs sitting there waiting to be posted...but I've almost always got machines waiting for programs so I post on-the-fly...as most others do as well nowadays. As most places don't have people that only do cnc programming anymore, ugpost doesn't get used nearly like it used to. Now you've got a machine operator or a designer writing the programs on-the-fly. All they need to do is send it to batch like a translation and all would be well...lol.

Take care...

abeschneider,

Use Group Feature, add the extrusion to the Group Feature set, then array the Group Feature....is the only way to do it without GRIP or custom programming. I've been griping about UG's lack of straight forward array & mirroring capabilities for years & no one at UGS seems interested in listening. The biggest of which is that I can mirror a body with one command, so why can't I do the same by arraying a body?

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Redo the ordinate dimension dialog's!! Let me just drag and drop wherever I want to without having to constantly screw around with margins and doglegs. It takes me about 3 times longer to do an ordinate dimensioned drawing than it should!

Amen to that. Ordinate dimensioning is painful in UG.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2005 SP5.0 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2006 SP1.0 on WinXP SP2

Yeah...and it's so "illogical" compared to everything else in drafting that I find myself having to re-learn it every single time I use it. I said it takes 3 times longer than necessary...probably more like 5.[thumbsdown]

Take care...

Ordinate dimensioning is "supposed" to be improved in NX4.

Another thing I would like to see is to be able to use a datum plane to mirror about. As it is, I have to set my csys to the orientation of the datum plane, then mirror about a plane defined by the csys. Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back