Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

It's becoming a litany, another train derailment involving hazardous material...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRBaker

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2006
US
And before anyone says anything, I know that this is not an uncommon occurrence, but still...

BNSF train carrying ethanol in Minnesota derails and catches fire, forcing evacuations in small town

Burlington Northern Santa Fe says 22 cars from train have come off the tracks in Raymond

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Now if they had a few tank cars of citrus juice imagine the party.
All of that etoh and sugar.
At least they can let this one burn without much worry.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Problem with switch gear?

Raymond_Train_Wreck.01_n2womg.jpg

San Diego Union Tribune

Raymond_Train_Wreck_euvu3s.jpg

Google Maps link (45° 0'50.30"N 95°14'40.44"W)

Train derailments and all the other strangeness with everything else as well, all since 2021 or so. Nothing to see here.

All the 'news' air is being sucked out by a single story ;-)

Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

NO, I was actually thinking of Gwyneth Paltrow being exonerated it that skiing accident case [roll1]

Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

NO, I was actually thinking of Gwyneth Paltrow being exonerated it that skiing accident case

Well, the jury agreed with her; whether the accident was as she described it is technically unknown. She got her lawyers' fees awarded, which is probably the big thing; that might even exceed the $300k in damages that the plaintiff wanted from her.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

I was reading last night about a recent rail crash, were three people were killed. Two were on the vestibule and were tossed from the rail car, in which case there has been asked to make safer, with will likely be recommended that people are not allowed to stand there. The third was tossed from the dome.
So the effect will be safer, but less enjoyable trip.

Once upon a time, one could be in the vestibule and open the top half of the door and get some fresh air and a great view. And a smoke, for that matter. With permission of train crew, of course. I did it going over the Sierras--Donner Pass, and all that. Luckily, the train didn't crash.

Even worse, here's some poor ignorant folk risking their lives to enjoy themselves (1973):

open_air_oftjar.jpg

Happily, we've since protected our citizens from such dangerous activities. For their own good.

spsalso

I don't have a link, but I was reading from the April edition of TRAINS magazine.
Also a good article on the trains in Ukraine.

And then we have my wife's brother-in-law leaning out to get a picture of the train as it climbed up White Pass on the Alaska/Yukon border:

CI-097-3_wpvbcq.jpg

September 2000 )Minolta XG-M)

Of course I had to lean out in order to get this picture ;-)

Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

Good thing... there was lots of food on board...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back