Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jacketed Vessel Closure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartholomew69

Mechanical
Nov 14, 2004
ZA
Appendix 9-5(c)(5) gives the formula for j for types 2 - 5 jacketed vessels as "Maximum allowable width of jacket space".
When I apply this formula I get a very small value for j. Is this really the maximum allowed?

I would appreciate some help from those with experience on App. 9

Bart Bartholomew
Pr. Eng (mech)
Nautilus Engineers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First of all could you please indicate which type of closure are you using?

Serdar EREN
Cemsan Ltd. Sti.

Closure type fig 9-5 (d-1) and (d-2) and (f-1) and (f-2)

Regards

Bart Bartholomew
Pr. Eng (mech)
Nautilus Engineers

Bart Bartholomew
Pr. Eng (mech)
Nautilus Engineers

App 9-5 (c) (4) does not give permission to use Fig 9-5 (d-1) & (d-2) closure types in Type 2 and Type 5 jackets.

And if you are trying to use (f-1) and (f-2), to find the max all. width of jacket space you should use the formula in App 9-5 (c) (5. While calculating please re-check your variables, normally it gives very high spaces.

What do you mean by a very small value?
That type of closure, for a type 2 vessel, has to resist in bending the full end load corresponding to the jacket diameter, so, generally speaking, it is a very stressed part, and the limitation on j is intended at protecting the vessel wall from excessive bending.
I suppose that you could overcome that limitation by a detailed analysis of the closure, including vessel wall, but am not suggesting that. If you analyse the formula for j you'll see that it limits the bending stress in the wall to something that is close to S, and as you can have an additional 0.5S longitudinal stress due to internal pressure...

prex

Online tools for structural design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back