Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jacob's chuck for a Hougen mag drill? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eromlignod

Mechanical
Jul 28, 2006
Hi guys:

I recently bought a Hougen magnetic drill press for drilling holes through the tops of machine bases on Ebay. It works great for trepanning large holes with rotabroaches.

I would like to also use it for drilling and tapping with ordinary jobber drills. Is there any way to adapt the quill to add/substitute an ordinary Jacob's chuck?

Thanks for any replies.

Don
Mechanical Engineer
Kansas City

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Great! I've got one on order.

Now...how do I get the old chuck off? It appears to be threaded on, but there is no "reverse" for the motor, nor does there appear to be any sort of brake to help get the chuck off.

Any pointers?

Don
Kansas City

They should have told you that you have to have an adapter. On the web page posted above click on Jacobs chucks and it will show you which adapter you need. We have 4 or 5 of these machines and I think everyone has a different chuck.

Also of you look around there were several people that made accessories for the Hougen.

Anyone know a good way to get the old chuck off?

Don

There's no spindle lock on the shaft? Like a place to put a pin punch through it?

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Well, I didn't see anything obvious, like on a saw, but I'll take another look for a pin hole on Monday. Thanks for the help.

Don
Kansas City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back