Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

jersey barrier with integrated chain link fence 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

keevin33

Civil/Environmental
Aug 20, 2013
US
looking for a detail for a jersey barrier with chain link fence attached on top. I know this is common but I cannot find a good detail.

please help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For the Melbourne Grand Prix they use sections of Jersey Barrier (JB) with a pair of exposed reo loops protruding out each end.[ ] The heights of these loops at the left-hand end are slightly different from the heights at the right-hand end, so that when a pair of JB sections are lined up (with a gap between them to accommodate the reo loops) each loop overlaps closely with one of its new neighbour's loops.[ ] A vertical steel post is threaded down through the loops to interlock the pair of JBs.[ ] The posts extend an appropriate distance above the tops of the JBs, so that they also interlock a pair of custom-made steel mesh panels that sit on top of the JBs and extend upwards to the required protection height.

[sub][ ]—————————————————————————————————[/sub]
[sup]Engineering mathematician / analyst.[ ] See my profile for more details.
[/sup]

That fence is likely to become a projectile if a truck hits the barrier.

v48n4crashtest-18wheeler-lg_ar6mlo.jpg

My glass has a v/c ratio of 0.5

Maybe the tyranny of Murphy is the penalty for hubris. -

Thanks, Nackra.[ ] That Brugg product is essentially similar to the Melbourne GP fence, but improved in quite a few minor details.[ ] However a couple of things puzzle me slightly.
»[ ] Why are the concrete JB components installed with their vertical side rather than their profiled side facing the impact direction?[ ] (Surely not simply because that is the better face to paint advertising upon.)
»[ ] The website has some excellent photos of their product, and the close-up photos of the wire mesh panels show a wire spiral running vertically up the mid-line of the panels.[ ] What on earth is the purpose of that spiral?

[sub][ ]—————————————————————————————————[/sub]
[sup]Engineering mathematician / analyst.[ ] See my profile for more details.
[/sup]

I'd understood that the profiled side was to 'redirect' the vehicle back on to the roadway. Is this correct, anyone?

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Racing circuit barriers work differently to normal road barriers. The cars are much lighter, much much lower down and the aim is to keep them and their components on the race track and not in the crowd.

Any angle at the speed these cars hit them on a race track could result in vertical motion which is not what it wanted.

On a highway the wheels will deflect / deform first then the body will impact higher up.

So race track - flat side, highway - angled side.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Not a problem LI; your reply was what I was hoping for, and is correct... I was referring to 'real' Jersey barriers, not the racing barriers.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

My guess is that the wire spiral acts as an intermediate support spacer for the panels when they stacked for transport. They will also help keep the panels locked together when stacked so they don't behave like a stacked deck of cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back