Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JET-A Density - Temperature relationship 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tesh76

Jun 9, 2008
US
Is there a useable formula to correlate temperature to fuel density particularly Jet-A ? I am aware of the Coefficient of Thermal Expansion value of 999 x 10E-6 (ie .00099) per Deg C but reluctant to use this as there may be other variables to consider... Trying to plan airplane fuel requirements in gallons since most flight planning systems work in pounds.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i'd've thought the the denisty/temperature relationship was reasonably linear over the practical range (plus/minus 40degC).

i'm guessing that your coefficient is for volume change and that it is independent of the volume unit, ie .00999 gallons/gallon/degC

The attached file has the thermal expansion plots for all sorts of fuels and at temps from -60F to +160F. They all are linear over this range of temps. It also has the cover page in case you need to give a refernece.

FYI, from what I understand these handbooks are available at a reasonable cost. How much and where from, I don't know as my previous employer bought them. But, they've got all sorts of conversion tables, physical properties, aircraft performance, engine performance, etc. data.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=abba7cee-273e-43f4-85fe-5e97744d152b&file=Fuel_thermal_expansion.pdf
Wil, I've got a copy ('71, a little shop worn ) that I would give you, but I don't know how without violating the rules of the board. Maybe post it on Ebay with a cheap "buy it now"?

For now I'll have to settle for my '57 GE Aircraft Propulsion [vestpocket size] Data Book and my '65 TRW Space Data booklet. I surely preferred the P&W engines to the GE's, but I never got a Vestpocket Handbook. If somebody finds a commercial source of the P&W handbooks, I would really like to acquire one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back