Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Job Application to Company with Multiple Openings of Interest 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasPwrEng

Electrical
Dec 14, 2010
Hello all,

I posted a bit ago on the maximum rate of job change. I have another question related to my problem. To refresh your memory, I am considering changing jobs in order to be closer to my girlfriend. This is therefore a personal move, and not a professional move.

I have a few companies that I am interested in. These companies have multiple job openings. For example, one company has openings for transmission engineers and for substation engineers. Now, I think either would be very interesting. I would be just as happy in either position.

How would you approach telling the company that this move is personal, and that I am open to either position? If they feel I'm more qualified to be a substation engineer than transmission (or vice versa), they can consider me for whichever they wish, and I would be just as happy. I just want to work within their company (I should also mention that I'm not just typing "power engineer jobs" in Google... I am researching these companies and feel I'd enjoy working there)

It seems to me that I may come off as disinterested, or perhaps as "only looking for a job", and that they may frown upon that. This really isn't the case... I would be happy with either position. But again, my primary goal is location rather than position, so long as the position does interest me.

After reading a few posts here on interviews, I'm definitely going to call these companies and ask to speak with someone of a senior or hiring position (these are smaller companies). I just wonder, how do I convey to them that I am truly interested in either position, and would be happy with wherever they felt my skills would be to their greatest advantage (or, at whichever position I had the best shot at employment).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I guess to say it another, simpler way...

A company that I want to work for has two openings in different departments. Do I put all my eggs in one basket and apply to the position I feel I have the best shot at, or do I create a more generic application and tell them I want to work for their company, at whichever position they feel appropriate.

If you're already super well qualified for one, it might bore you, so you'd learn more at the other one. That's the one I'd pick; the one that would teach me more. Let the employer make the connection and suggest the other if they wish. But that's me, not you.

Pick one.

Okay, pretend you did. Assess how you feel about not taking the other one.

Now pick the other one and do the same thing.

If that doesn't help, choose one at random.

Trying for both from the start doesn't work; trust me.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

You might consider two resumes/applications - one for each position. They may actaully be handled by different departments/people. If not, a sharp HR person (unlikely) will catch on that you are interested in either and then seek you out for the best or both positions.

Don't say the move is for personal reasons, like to be closer to your girlfriend. We all know some relationships don't last.
Learn about the company before the interview and come up with something as to why you are moving closer to their company, and why you want to work there.

Chris
SolidWorks 10 SP4.0
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

Also keep in mind that a job interview is a two-way street. You can ask questions about the job requirements, skills necessary and discuss how you fit to each position. I agree that you should not mention the personal reasons for the move; simply state you are looking to advance your career and are interested in this company.

Prior to an interview or even perhaps submitting your resume, call the company and speak with someone from each department. Ask some questions about each position. They may be OK with you applying in general and they may want input into which position you are best suited.

How to Find, Get and Keep an Engineering Job

I was in this exact situation last spring. The company that I was applying for had multiple openings and I was interested in several. I finally decided to apply for the one that I was the most qualified for and I informed HR when they called that I would be interested in the other positions as well. To my surprise, when I did my subsequent phone interview I had 3 hiring managers on the phone.

THEY decided after that where I fit best (I also took that job).

You might try this route - get HR's attention by applying for the one that you are the most qualified for and then mention to them the other opportunities. Good luck!

If this is a personal move then all that really matters is you get a job you'll enjoy.
But you can't let them think its personal and you just want a job, it doesn't matter which, because they may then worry that if your reasons for moving change, you'll move on, if they are prepared to consider you at all on that basis.

You have to treat the job interview as if this is the one and only job on the planet for you. And, if asked and you can keep a straight face, it is your girlfriend who is coming to be with you.

So if it doesn't really matter which you get, pick the one you like best (even if by a slight margin) and apply for that and go all the way. You need to appear hungry, not indifferent.

Now its a case of covering all the bases.
You cannot allow them to think you can't make a choice, you cannot afford to let them think you'd give up on your chosen job mid-interview.

Don't switch horses, just casually mention that you were torn between the jobs to go for (explain this as both were with this company that you've heard good things about).

If they don't quite fancy you for this job, this might tip the balance or this might influence them to suggest the alternative job and in which case you go to that with a recommendation from them to the other interview team (if different; even stronger if its them interviewing).

Now you must not misrepresent a lot of things but you can stretch the point on motivation etc. and, let's face it, management are going to spend the rest of your career lying to you.
So creating an impression to get a job you can do is fair game if you want the job and can do it.

JMW

Apply to both. If the system allows it, have two different resumes tailored to each. When I was interviewing for my current position, i straight up told the supervisor of whom i am now working for, that im also interviewing for another position right after the current interview, and he even wished me good luck on it. Companies and supervisors are all aware that everyone is always trying to keep their options open, including the supervisor himself.

If you have reason to believe that the same HR person is working both positions, then you won't have to post twice with different resume's and if it is the same person, that would look hokie to me.

If on the other hand you have reason to believe differently, then do it the two way route.

I posted for a job that I didn't get and the job that I did get wasn't even posted, nor was the position I got created until after I was offered the job. When you get your foot in and they see your qualifications, if you are what they are looking for, they will grab you.

Good luck.

rmw

I've always gone the multiple resume route. Many times, I've been glad I did, as I would receive a notification that "sorry, but this opening has been cancelled", yet still been contacted for the other position.

What is the harm in selling yourself as an electrical engineer who enjoys all challenges, whether in an area you are familiar with or one that would require some learning curve? You can sell either one. Promote things about you in general, especially non-technical things like your work ethic, play well with others, etc., and let them decide the best fit for you in their scheme (as others have suggested). They may end up moving you around anyway if you are qualified and as their needs change.

If they want you for a very specific role with skill sets you have or don't have, that can come out in the interview. I would not pre-screen myself.

My first job out of college was under the notion I would get training in multiple areas of civil engineering with a focus on structure. My inclination towards structures and their needs ended up pushing me that way. I ended up doing almost no civil, which was and is fine by me.

Don't ever get into anything personal in an interview or resume, other than "I am relocating to this area for personal reasons." They will not ask why, or at least I believe that is illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back